Reto.Robotron3000

Action Servers moved to cloud

Reto.Robotron3000    1,118

Today we have moved the action servers to a cloud based hosting solution. We touched upon this progress in the Intelligence Bulletin, when talking about updating the Development Overview, and I have added it to the Changelog here.

But I just wanted to expand a little more on this as server location, ping times, routing etc is something a lot of you are very interested in. 

The new server setup is based on dedicated instances, so no sharing of resources with other processes/customers so it is very much just a migration of the servers into a cloud based solution instead of different hosting centers. 

The hosting centers we are currently using for the action servers are located in 

• California, US
  • Virginia, US
  • Frankfurt, Germany
  • Seoul, South Korea
  • Singapore
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Sao Paulo, Brazil
  • Moscow, Russia

So you can see that what happened is that the US servers stay in the same place, East Coast and West Coast, we moved the W. European action servers from Rotterdam, Netherlands to Frankfurt, Germany, we moved the North Asiaserver from Tokyo, Japan to Seoul, South Korea, we moved the other 'North' Asia server from Hong Kong to SE Asia in Singapore. The Australian server and the Brazilian server stay where they are.

The Moscow server ALSO stays where it is, and it is NOT moved into the cloud (no changes at all to Moscow), as there a no better hosting centers available for Russia. 

When the game decides which action server you should play on, what happens is that your client measures network speed to the different servers and rank them locally, this information is then used to try and get to a game on the closest server, and if none are available the next in line and so on. I am aware that some of you have been asking for an option where you can choose which hosting centers you want to play on, I have forwarded this suggestion to the dev team for evaluation. 

NB: ONLY the action servers (except Moscow) moved. The War servers will be migrated into the cloud in a few weeks and moved to a hosting center in Dublin, Ireland.

Gerhacht    274

Great news Robotron! Frankfurt ?am Main? (there is Frankfurt Oder as well...). Well pretty sure your cloud provider choose the right place 2b. Yeah! Just excited to see the connection's performance later today.

I hope you/Reto team will find a better solution for the Moscow server as well in order to provide best quality to everybody.;)

Krlutin    1,171
56 minutes ago, Gerhacht said:

Great news Robotron! Frankfurt ?am Main? 

Ha you lucky bastard, just yesterday you wished for a server move to Frankfurt  :D

Enjoy your 5 ping i guess :)

Gerhacht    274
1 minute ago, Krlutin said:

Ha you lucky bastard, just yesterday you wished for a server move to Frankfurt  :D

Not a special ability in reading the future required. Just a matter of best connections are always located in regions that holds the banking transaction servers that tend to request optimal latency in order to deal the transactions a millisec before their competitors to make the BIG MONEY!

BR Your lucky bastard:D

Kmeto    717
2 hours ago, Reto.Robotron3000 said:

Moscow, Russia

When will you get rid of this meme? At least connect there Russians only, you know how to make IP table and you know how to forward different country IPs to different servers. If you connect to this server somebody else than russians (f.e. Finland, v4, balkan), you should consider something and I won't say what because I don't want to be rude. 

5 hours ago, Krlutin said:

I just went online and saw 8-10 ms ping and immediately assumed that the server is now closer to DE-CIX. Well done.

Edited

thuggers    10

Ah shame, the Rotterdam servers were perfect for me with a distance of 80 km :) . Frankfurt will have to do.

Is there any significant difference we will now notice with the servers in the cloud? Not that much of an expert.

SilvaRodrigo    1,075

Does this change anything to latin america players? (Brazil server)

I'm talking about any change to the average ping, packet loss, etc

Edited

17 hours ago, Reto.Robotron3000 said:

• Sao Paulo, Brazil

the Brazilian server stay where they are.

You should have just removed the brazillian servers entirely. they are laggy. most people dont want to work together, they're laggy and they're also laggy

ifyourlove    3

Hello, Reto.I'm an old player from China.H&G is a good game.Even if game has a lot of problems.But the game is creative and rich in play.I used to be addicted to it.But this update.I can't understand it.If you don't like Chinese players, you can block us directly.region lock china.I really don't want to fight the good ping foreign clans in a bad Internet Environment.That's really too tired too tired too tired.I hope that the more we play in the competition is our personal state, not the objective factors.Finally, I wish H&G getting better and better.

Reto.Circinus    1,639
11 hours ago, thuggers said:

Ah shame, the Rotterdam servers were perfect for me with a distance of 80 km :) . Frankfurt will have to do.

Is there any significant difference we will now notice with the servers in the cloud? Not that much of an expert.

There shouldn't be a significant difference, but it provides a lot of options for us, now that it's cloud based.