Reto.McFly

Intelligence Bulletin #7

Reto.McFly    844

IntelligenceBulletingNo7.jpg

Development Overview updated

A month ago we decided to make the Development Overview publicly available providing everyone with exactly that – an overview of what is currently in development at RETO MOTO. At the moment it is a lot of the socalled Mission Critical projects that we need to complete to move forward.

We just updated the Development Overview, this happens once a month.

• Projects related to the update 1.10.1 were put in Released
  • Tech upgrade: Price System moved to Final development
  • Migrating services to cloud moved to Final development
  • Performance: UI War Map moved to Final development
  • Tech Upgrade: Physics moved to Test.

Click here to go to the Development Overview.

Did you remember to watch the Q&A & WHY-STREAM?

On the weekly Devstream this Wednesday on Twitch.tv our game director Reto.RedBjarne along with host Reto.Gargamel once again answered a bunch of questions posted and voted on by the community as well as taking live questions from the chat.

If you missed the Devstream you can watch it above. Or you can find it on Twitch and on our YouTube channel.
If you want to submit a question for next time, you can do so here.
And remember to follow us on Twitch and tune in every Wednesday at 1500 CET / 9am EST, where we have a new Twitch-stream happening.

Also remember that community members Marv 2.0 and Flint74  collects the answers given in the Q&A & Why-Stream in this forum tread.

guncolony-weapon-stats.jpg

Weapon Configuration data made "pretty"

When we did a Deep Dive Stream on and then released the Weapon Configuration data in January, we were aware that the vast amount of data can be overvhelmimng to look at.
Thankfully we have some very skilled community members, that are not afraid of numbers and spreadsheets. You can check out forum tread with the data to discover how the data is being used by various players.

We were impressed with the visualizations done by community member guncolony.com. Go have a look at the stuff he did on his personal webpage, and leave him feedback and a thumps up in this forum thread.

Reto.Robotron3000 has released the latest Weapon Configuration data from Update 1.10.1 in the above mentioned thread, and is working on getting the Weapon UPGRADE configuration ready for public release.

Tractor racing in Heroes & Generals

Community member Anssi has published a new issue of YANK – the online newspaper about Heroes & Generals.
Top story is a review of the Universal-1 Tractor found on upcomming Soviet Terrain Skirmish map – based on the experiences from the recent Prototype server test of the map.
And it is a great read. At least now we know that getting from O1 to D3 driving the tractor takes 1 minute and 8 seconds - a priceless piece of semi useful information.

All jokes aside. Annsi - you do amazing stuff! And to the rest of you – go read YANK right now.

How to knife the driver of a moving vehicle

As always we really like all the cool stuff that you, the players, post on our forums, Youtube, Reddit and so on.

And community member Binson really made us smile when he posted the above video on the forums. The "worst" part of it is - this is not his first time stabbing an enemy driver. Go have a look at his previous video in the forum.

And while you are at it, go check out the cool video that 2001zhaozhao posted on Reddit. A gentle reminder that even Paratroopers need to watch their steps.

Original post: https://heroesandgenerals.com/2018/02/intelligence-bulletin-7/

Marv2.0    549

Ah @Reto.McFly your timing is semi ok.

I am just through formating the questions and updating changelog and fixing broken stuff. I got from the one and only lord of the underworld @Reto.Hades (on a side note to you employ him so when you or any other developer dies he can still work for the team? A cunning strategy.)

Off I go sifting through 92 minutes something I guess.

Reto.McFly    844
1 hour ago, Mitke93 said:

Nothing that we dont know already.

I don't personally know what the collective "we" knows :-)

.However, the bulletin is very much meant as a gathering of information.

A "If you dont have time to read the blog posts and the forums, here is what you need to know" kinda thing.

Mitke93    49
3 minutes ago, Reto.McFly said:

I don't personally know what the collective "we" knows :-)

Well "we" is for those who are active here on forums. 

6 minutes ago, Reto.McFly said:

.However, the bulletin is very much meant as a gathering of information.

A "If you dont have time to read the blog posts and the forums, here is what you need to know" kinda thing.

Oh, i thought it was something that will tell us what is going to be in the upcoming hotfixes... sorry "updates". I mean that was something  that first Intelligence bulletin showed us.

Marv2.0    549

It has been done, now if McFly could just use his DeLorean I could have done it in time. (Coincindantly when he released the post of course.) Still interested in my side note about Hades's real purpose? Is my assumption correct?

Edited

LuisCyphre    502

xholygodx actually explained his question, you know, the one you couldn't figure out, about production rates - in the chat, the explanation was on screen for the rest of the stream.

I'll explain again just so you don't have to look it up:

People are sitting in queue literally for days, thus unable to use their ATs (while for instance their veteran memberships ticks away).

A higher production rate (of ATs, what else could it be, srsly) would fix that, and since infantry production has been at 3k in the past (now: 1k), xholygodx asked to revert that.

@Reto.RedBjarne, want to answer it now?

Champi0n    408
7 hours ago, Binson said:

Ayyy, Thanks!  Look mom, I made it!

:)

Nice touch down on that jeep :D

Thanks for the weapon stat calculator guncolony.com ,i hope you can expand it when Reto releases the modification stats. You got my cookie! :) 

Reto.McFly    844
On 23/2/2018 at 5:22 PM, Marv2.0 said:

It has been done, now if McFly could just use his DeLorean I could have done it in time. (Coincindantly when he released the post of course.) Still interested in my side note about Hades's real purpose? Is my assumption correct?

The reasons for hirering Hades is much more diabolic than that :-)

Fegaris    1,286
On 23. 2. 2018 at 9:55 PM, LuisCyphre said:

xholygodx actually explained his question, you know, the one you couldn't figure out, about production rates - in the chat, the explanation was on screen for the rest of the stream.

I'll explain again just so you don't have to look it up:

People are sitting in queue literally for days, thus unable to use their ATs (while for instance their veteran memberships ticks away).

A higher production rate (of ATs, what else could it be, srsly) would fix that, and since infantry production has been at 3k in the past (now: 1k), xholygodx asked to revert that.

@Reto.RedBjarne, want to answer it now?

3 easy steps to help RTS

1. turn of AR

2. reduce AT size (even more scpeicalized AT size), but keep same amount of CP - bcuz every-battle is overstakced, even by those specilaized units + will help Q aswell

3. reduce amount of cities so FPS players of war could handle it somehow

......now we got simpyl too much RTS troops over FPS players ...and too much cities 

Sqeek    508
2 hours ago, Fegaris said:

3 easy steps to help RTS

1. turn of AR

2. reduce AT size (even more scpeicalized AT size), but keep same amount of CP - bcuz every-battle is overstakced, even by those specilaized units + will help Q aswell

3. reduce amount of cities so FPS players of war could handle it somehow

......now we got simpyl too much RTS troops over FPS players ...and too much cities 

I have suggested exactly this a bunch of times. It is an easy fix (they already have the old map with lesser cities and they have shown before that the spaghetti can handle AT size reduction).

Then it would be like the FPS part of the game was connected to the RTS, which it hasnt really been for years! (Just ask dora: "RTS has nothing to do with the FPS part".)

We might even see activity on TS again and people enjoying the game.

Well, not gonna happen, since Reto puts years in making a tank simulator instead of fixing what they already have. But would have been cool...

Jmj191    838
3 minutes ago, Sqeek said:

I have suggested exactly this a bunch of times. It is an easy fix (they already have the old map with lesser cities and they have shown before that the spaghetti can handle AT size reduction).

Then it would be like the FPS part of the game was connected to the RTS, which it hasnt really been for years! (Just ask dora: "RTS has nothing to do with the FPS part".)

We might even see activity on TS again and people enjoying the game.

Well, not gonna happen, since Reto puts years in making a tank simulator instead of fixing what they already have. But would have been cool...

:( #BringBackTheSwedes

Edited

Reto.McFly    844

1: As you know from the Development Overview we are are rewriting the code that runs the war servers. This needs to be done to, among other things, facilitate development on the RTS. And it is not a simple task.

2: There really are no easy fixes. Neither in H&G or in life.

Fegaris    1,286
56 minutes ago, Reto.McFly said:

1: As you know from the Development Overview we are are rewriting the code that runs the war servers. This needs to be done to, among other things, facilitate development on the RTS. And it is not a simple task.

Hmm doubt it's hard to remove 1/3-1/2 cites from RTS

Then we already had reduced size of assault teams in past. I guess it's all about rewriting numbers. 1/2 of specialized ATs and 2/3 of infantry....would do.

Current problem is not enough of players for fps part of war, while there is alot of generals with troops.

Turning of AR is optional...as it would have make more slow paced war.....but  reducing cities and AT size would be good enough for adjusting FPS:RTS ratio for reduced cities

Also this isn't ment to be main fix as more it's temporary solution I guess

Edited

Reto.GreenBow    102
1 hour ago, Fegaris said:

Hmm doubt it's hard to remove 1/3-1/2 cites from RTS

Re-connecting 4287 battlefileds and re-wiring 15650 Accesspoints with 7825 supplyines is not so trivial, just saying. Also: Reducing the number of battlefields does not reduce the number of concurrent battles, that can only be done by creating more choke points, so battles can't "spread out" so much. Not to mention that all has to be undone at prime-time when we actually need a high number of battles available.

Tinkering with AT sizes also influences staged battles, where all templates would have to be re-disgned and the mission creator would have to be adjusted. Aside from some potential issues with the mission director and retreat mechanics due to too small ATs.
No, none of this is simple and also it doesn't really address the problems that you have pointed out regarding RTS flow.

Fegaris    1,286
26 minutes ago, Reto.GreenBow said:

Re-connecting 4287 battlefileds and re-wiring 15650 Accesspoints with 7825 supplyines is not so trivial, just saying.

Well never said its trivial. I am not gonna say, i know, what coding you guys are using, but deleting some cities over time and keep it updated with patches should not be that big problem. Eventualy with some time, we would end up with reduced cities.

All i wanted to state was, that troops are way more ´´overpopulated´´ compared to fps players, thus i end up with conclusion, that reduction of size of ATs and cities would help.

26 minutes ago, Reto.GreenBow said:

Tinkering with AT sizes also influences staged battles, where all templates would have to be re-disgned and the mission creator would have to be adjusted. Aside from some potential issues with the mission director and retreat mechanics due to too small ATs.

Well sure this would take bit time, but try to see it from players perspective.

I remember days, when there were nice battles on RTS (most of them played, bcuz of good FPS player: RTS troops : cities ratio). When there was nice matches of infantry, where vehicles ment something and if somewhere was recon or tanks it was rly nice...not to mention planes. Novadays every city is overstacked with troops and with specialized units...but none playes it.

Simply amount of RTS cities and troops of generals were and are growing way to fast compared to playerbase, who would play those battles.

Edited

LuisCyphre    502
6 hours ago, Reto.McFly said:

Am I on your ignore list?