hungamer181

What is up with the Wiki?

hungamer181    2

I saw that the wiki is kind of outdated in the Planes department,also not seeing the WIki Admins realy Talking. (on a side note i started working on the Hungarian Wiki and would like someone to tell me how to make tables in the source editor,anybody please?)

spotted 1 of the wiki guys in a game called SQUAD he was just driving arround farming XP like a wiki mod would do

bridudown    37
15 minutes ago, Thisbirdisonfiya said:

spotted 1 of the wiki guys in a game called SQUAD he was just driving arround farming XP like a wiki mod would do

post pics plz

Mrdamien03    64

The problem with the wiki is they only accept things that have been said and confirmed by Reto-Moto.

For example one my friend wrote the armor values for jumbo tank. It was not said or confirmed by Reto-Moto since the Jumbo introduction some months, maybe years ago now!. (It was War Thunder Values). So the moderators there couldn't keep the values and jumbo still doesn't have more informations.

http://heroesandgenerals.gamepedia.com/M4A3E2_Sherman_'Jumbo'

At the end the lack of in-game informations makes harder to fill the wiki. A lot of things can't be filled because there are no real informations 100% confirmed by Reto and moderators prefer having nothing than having mistakes in the wiki.

Edited by Mrdamien03

hungamer181    2

seams reasonable.

Tho wondering why Reto can't just post it,it can't be that hard to post armor values and all the other things in need of update,but since it's reto everything is hard for them : /

Edited by hungamer181

Flint74    454

Reto, and the wiki 'staff', were looking to semi-automate the process of entering data onto each wiki page, in terms of things like equipment prices and vehicle/weapon performance stats, etc. in order to keep the wiki more up-to-date and relevant in line with the games updates.

Quite how far they got with that automation process I have no idea though, that's a question only Reto and the wiki 'staff' can properly answer.

It's worth noting that the wiki 'staff' are mostly all unpaid volunteers and members of the community, just like the forum Mods are in fact, thus they are not part of the Reto-Moto team, instead they just provide their time for free when they are able to.

Edited by Flint74

Nemotoad    18
8 hours ago, Flint74 said:

Quite how far they got with that automation process I have no idea though, that's a question only Reto and the wiki 'staff' can properly answer.

That's a question for Brakke. He set up the automation side of things while I created and designed the template for displaying said data.

8 hours ago, Flint74 said:

It's worth noting that the wiki 'staff' are mostly all unpaid volunteers and members of the community, just like the forum Mods are in fact, thus they are not part of the Reto-Moto team, instead they just provide their time for free when they are able to.

I'm glad someone realizes that. Unfortunately, I am not able to contribute as much time to the wiki as I would like anymore, and that has left a lot of things unfinished.

RadicalEdward2    1347

Just read the title, I feel part of the problem with the wiki is that it uses the Gamepedia format. I feel like the Wikia (Fandom) editing format is a bit more user-friendly.

Because of this, it seems like the H&G Gamepedia is only updated whenever someone that knows how to format the pages logs on (usually only when there's a major update). That's why a lot of the map pages have information from the Beta and earlier.

I never could get behind the Gamepedia format of editing because it always seemed a bit clunky.

Edited by RadicalEdward2

I think they should take the Wiki down for maintenance and put it back once it is fully updated/ the outdated info gets deleted.

RadicalEdward2    1347
On 7/29/2017 at 8:27 PM, thedarkwarriorss said:

I think they should take the Wiki down for maintenance and put it back once it is fully updated/ the outdated info gets deleted.

I wouldn't say do that. The old images of Beta (and some better times in the game's lifespan)  would be lost forever.

Instead, I would say make a wikia site.

Flint74    454
On 31/07/2017 at 6:24 AM, RadicalEdward2 said:

I wouldn't say do that. The old images of Beta (and some better times in the game's lifespan)  would be lost forever.

Instead, I would say make a wikia site.

Looks like someone already made one at least 2-3 years ago, and it's now horribly incomplete and out-of-date...

http://the-heroes-and-generals.wikia.com/wiki/The_Heroes_And_Generals_Wiki

Edited by Flint74

RadicalEdward2    1347
4 hours ago, Flint74 said:

Looks like someone already made one at least 2-3 years ago, and it's now horribly incomplete and out-of-date...

http://the-heroes-and-generals.wikia.com/wiki/The_Heroes_And_Generals_Wiki

Here I go doing shite again.

I made a new wiki. I know how to set them up because I ran the Oddworld and Gorillaz wikis since 2007.

http://heroes-generals.wikia.com/?wiki-welcome=1

I'm going to pretty it up with bike bells and whistles later today when I'm back from spending time with family from out of town.

At some point this week, I'll look for people to help maintain the site like admins and moderators at a later point because I've done this stuff for literally a decade and would rather not spend the next decade still doing that in the Bureaucrat position (the super admin position).

Nemotoad    18
7 hours ago, RadicalEdward2 said:

Here I go doing shite again.

I made a new wiki. I know how to set them up because I ran the Oddworld and Gorillaz wikis since 2007.

http://heroes-generals.wikia.com/?wiki-welcome=1

I'm going to pretty it up with bike bells and whistles later today when I'm back from spending time with family from out of town.

At some point this week, I'll look for people to help maintain the site like admins and moderators at a later point because I've done this stuff for literally a decade and would rather not spend the next decade still doing that in the Bureaucrat position (the super admin position).

Although I've mostly worked just worked with the Gamepedia format, I'd still be up for helping if you need me to. Although I've stopped working on the current wiki as much, I feel that starting anew with less 'clutter' may make working on the wiki a bit less daunting.

RadicalEdward2    1347
3 hours ago, Nemotoad said:

Although I've mostly worked just worked with the Gamepedia format, I'd still be up for helping if you need me to. Although I've stopped working on the current wiki as much, I feel that starting anew with less 'clutter' may make working on the wiki a bit less daunting.

100% agree.

Cataloging bugs and map changes should be a lot easier too. Just send me a message on the wiki. My user name is Radical Edward2. It's the same but, there's a space between the two words.

I also just got back from my day out with my family so I'll probably start putting stuff together now on the wiki now.

The main page is finished for the most part but, there's still plenty of work to be done.

I'm sure it can outdo the Gamepedia if we all contribute to...dare I say... make a difference ;)

Right now, the main page consists of the following:

• The old logo (for style points)
  • A live feed of the official H&G Twitter for game news and updates
  • A live feed of the official H&G Server Status Twitter so you don't have to log into Twitter every time you want to find out if the servers are up or down.

That's pretty much it so far since we're still on Day 1. I'm going to put together a Rules & Guidelines page either tonight or tomorrow.

Going to try to figure out how to make infoboxes from scratch (again) when I get a chance. If someone knows how to do that already then by all means, do that (please :3 )

Edited by RadicalEdward2

Nemotoad    18
16 hours ago, RadicalEdward2 said:

Going to try to figure out how to make infoboxes from scratch (again) when I get a chance. If someone knows how to do that already then by all means, do that (please :3 )

What infoboxes do you want to be setup? Do you want a single template that can be used for all weapons like the one on the current wiki or separate ones for each?

hungamer181    2

Hmm,maybe i will try and add to it,but the lack of information will still be a problem,no?

RadicalEdward2    1347
22 hours ago, Nemotoad said:

What infoboxes do you want to be setup? Do you want a single template that can be used for all weapons like the one on the current wiki or separate ones for each?

Ideally,infoboxes for individual vehicles and weapons.

I think I can make directories though.

I set up the basic foundation for Assault map pages with Town as a template.

http://heroes-generals.wikia.com/wiki/Town

Edited by RadicalEdward2

hungamer181    2

Hey edward,do you think you can have time to show me how to realy work on the Wikia Platform if you can?I'm sure you are sometimes busy with all the map suggestions you make = D

RadicalEdward2    1347
3 hours ago, hungamer181 said:

Hey edward,do you think you can have time to show me how to realy work on the Wikia Platform if you can?I'm sure you are sometimes busy with all the map suggestions you make = D

I mean... I can try. It is a lot of work but, the best I can tell you at this moment in time is that it requires a lot of patience. Learning how to implement the codes for stuff like templates and boxes can get pretty tedious but, not to the level of intense as it is with Gamepedia's format.

AfonsoQQ    2241

Rule n1

Never trust the wiki, its always outdated and wrong no matter what