SpeedmeisterGeneral

RTS Tips for new & old players

I have compiled a list of do's and don'ts for the rts side of this game. These should help both new and old players of the game. Having three quite large armies in each faction of the current game I have become a very successful general. Please take a look as my tips could help your gameplay and help you to either gain warfunds and not lose warfunds.

Golden Rules - Following these rules are critical if you are like me and not a clan member.

1. Never rely on others for support. You never know if they are online, or simply watching the situation or cannot commit due to low morale.

2. Always make sure that you are attacking/defending with a minimum of 216 infantry spawns. The battle may not start but if it does it gives you the option of adding more resources if required.

3. Do not stack towns ie. putting over 350 spawns in each town. The reasons for this are as follows. Big stacks attract the enemies eyes as if they can encircle and capture them it would be a great addition to their stockpile. Every attack/defence your AT's lose moral, these repeated attacks can drain your AT's of moral very quickly. The only thing worse than losing AT's due to encirclement is losing them to moral.

4. Always make sure you back fill towns. This is added security against paras landing behind your/our lines and attempting to close off your retreat routes.

5. When going offline never leave your AT's near or on the front line, leaving them there you risk either losing them to moral or having them encircled.

Attacks and Defences - Simple easy tips to increase your battle victories.

1. Never add recons, planes, tanks to battles before they start. Simply start with infantry, if the other classes are required then you can add them after the battle starts. I would strongly advise in not using these classes in assaults, reasons being, an assault means moving forward 99% of tankers and recons shall simply camp and not help your team to move forward.

2. Never leave tanks in your defensive lines especially the front lines. Tanks especially light tanks attract new players like flies to sh##. You do not want a battle starting when 1/2 your team are tankers. This decreases your teams defensive mobility.

If you are new to rts side of this game then I recommend that stick to defensive battles until your AT strength is big enough to attempt/initiate assaults. Stay near to other players AT's for safety as if you are stuck out on your own then you are easy prey for the enemy. All three of my large armies have infantry cores, meaning 85-90% of each army is purely infantry and the other 10-15% are tanks, recons, planes and paras. Infantry are cheap to resupply and are the most used class within the game. This means that you shall receive a constant supply of returned warfunds as they are used.

If I have missed something I shall add later. Keep a watchful eye on your AT's, keep safe and I wish you good luck ;)

S1lenos    38

Thanks for the info.

One question: Afaik, if ATs get encircled, they are lost without refund and are added to the enemies stockpile - fine. The same happens when I loose an unit due to morale when attacking.

But when I loose them due to morale in an defense, they get refunded to the own stockpile and WF are refunded to the player. Is this correct?

Also, I wonder when ATs are considered encircled - is the criterion access to a capital? What if there is a direct conenction to a capital, but it is the only one and it is under attack?

1 hour ago, S1lenos said:

Thanks for the info.

One question: Afaik, if ATs get encircled, they are lost without refund and are added to the enemies stockpile - fine. The same happens when I loose an unit due to morale when attacking.

But when I loose them due to morale in an defense, they get refunded to the own stockpile and WF are refunded to the player. Is this correct?

Also, I wonder when ATs are considered encircled - is the criterion access to a capital? What if there is a direct conenction to a capital, but it is the only one and it is under attack?

When you lose your AT's due to encirclement then you do not receive any warfunds in return :( Basically a total loss so be extra careful. Your next question I am not sure, maybe another reader of this thread can help?

WarDaemon    1,186

One caveat to not leaving troops at the front line. It's a great place for foot infantry to hang out. They get used, (since it takes forever for them to walk back and forth), cost you next to nothing to deploy, and keep the enemy from softcapping their way to victory.

23 minutes ago, WarDaemon said:

One caveat to not leaving troops at the front line. It's a great place for foot infantry to hang out. They get used, (since it takes forever for them to walk back and forth), cost you next to nothing to deploy, and keep the enemy from softcapping their way to victory.

A very valid point you have there, thank you for your input.

berber    16

2 hours ago, S1lenos said:

Thanks for the info.

There is no clear documentation from Reto, it's all trial and error. Here's how I understand it:

Basically, there are five ways your units get taken from the board (the RTS map)

1. You run out of spawns (infantry, tankers, pilots etc).
    Your unit is undeployed. Not sure, what happens to remaining vehicles (they might be added to your faction's stockpile). You don't get WF refund.
  2. You don't have enough morale when a battle is initiated.
    Your unit is undeployed. The remaining resources get added to your faction's stockpile. You don't get WF refund.
  3. You undeploy your unit manually.
    Your unit is undeployed. The remaining resources get added to your faction's stockpile. You don't get WF refund.
  4. Your unit lost a battle and there is no possibility for them to withdraw to a friendly town or skirmish/attack.
    This is an encirclement. Your unit is undeployed. The remaining resources get added to the enemies stockpile. You don't get WF refund.
  5. The war ends.
    Your unit is undeployed. Stockpile is reset to starting conditions. You get WF refund.

Hope this helps, not 100% sure this is all accurate info.

12 minutes ago, berber said:

There is no clear documentation from Reto, it's all trial and error. Here's how I understand it:

Basically, there are five ways your units get taken from the board (the RTS map)

1. You run out of spawns (infantry, tankers, pilots etc).
    Your unit is undeployed. Not sure, what happens to remaining vehicles (they might be added to your faction's stockpile). You don't get WF refund.
  2. You don't have enough morale when a battle is initiated.
  3. You undeploy your unit manually.
  4. Your unit lost a battle and there is no possibility for them to withdraw to a friendly town or skirmish/attack.
    This is an encirclement. Your unit is undeployed. The remaining resources get added to the enemies stockpile. You don't get WF refund.
  5. The war ends.
    Your unit is undeployed. Stockpile is reset to starting conditions. You get WF refund.

Hope this helps, not 100% sure this is all accurate info.

Many thanks for your explanation, it covers it I believe.

TwoTapes    232

Nice trying to help players...

The only way war funds are returned to the player is end of war.  All other ways an AT is lost and no war fund reimbursement. Including vehicles. If you lose all infantry and some vehicles remain, no war fund reimbursement.

On another note, I completely disagree with your statement regarding other AT's.  I send in one tank AT and one recon AT during mission planning and it has paid off tremendously.  One AT will not draw 4 tanker or recon players. And often is the case that Armor is needed immediately, not 5-10 minutes later when the line is already pushed back.  Armor, by far, no other AT comes even close, has made me the most warfunds!  I do agree with the planes. Do not send planes in early! Planes have become the worst AT to deploy on top of its high cost and every Tom, duck, and Harry with their random pilot seat just waiting for someone to put in planes.  

Furthermore, the single most significant RTS piece of information that I have rarely seen anyone mention and happens every single hour on the map, Look at the map of the city your attacking. Look at the faction symbols on each line, and if your faction symbol is at the end of a line and the enemy faction has already captured that line DO NOT SEND AT'S DOWN THAT LINE!!!!!  Every Grey line you see does not mean you can attack!

For one, its a dead line. Your troops will not get played and will lose moral.

Two, you effectively just helped the enemy. If para or plane AT is sent, you just opened that closed line up for those para or plane AT to land on and they won't be played.  

Again, click on the city and look at the city map. Every attack line in the city map correlates with the same line on the war map.  Know****  what lines are open, closed, and benefit the assault!  

More advanced RTS instruction is available for a small donation ;p

Champi0n    433

Recon planes are just ruining games...

Fighter plane queues are extremely long, if you dont deploy your fighters in the first hour of the game, you will probably never have a chance to do so...

Vudu_guy    1,545

Sending recons ATs to any attack will reduce your chances to win 50% if not more.

There are more noobs queuing as recons for war than pilots or tier1 tankers.

Also if a defense had more than 1 recon AT, you can bet you will get 5 or  6 wannabe recons dying without killing anyone.

RECON at´s sended to battles before they ar full are the real cancer that leads to defeat.

19 minutes ago, TwoTapes said:

Nice trying to help players...

The only way war funds are returned to the player is end of war.  All other ways an AT is lost and no war fund reimbursement. Including vehicles. If you lose all infantry and some vehicles remain, no war fund reimbursement.

On another note, I completely disagree with your statement regarding other AT's.  I send in one tank AT and one recon AT during mission planning and it has paid off tremendously.  One AT will not draw 4 tanker or recon players. And often is the case that Armor is needed immediately, not 5-10 minutes later when the line is already pushed back.  Armor, by far, no other AT comes even close, has made me the most warfunds!  I do agree with the planes. Do not send planes in early! Planes have become the worst AT to deploy on top of its high cost and every Tom, duck, and Harry with their random pilot seat just waiting for someone to put in planes.  

Furthermore, the single most significant RTS piece of information that I have rarely seen anyone mention and happens every single hour on the map, Look at the map of the city your attacking. Look at the faction symbols on each line, and if your faction symbol is at the end of a line and the enemy faction has already captured that line DO NOT SEND AT'S DOWN THAT LINE!!!!!  Every Grey line you see does not mean you can attack!

For one, its a dead line. Your troops will not get played and will lose moral.

Two, you effectively just helped the enemy. If para or plane AT is sent, you just opened that closed line up for those para or plane AT to land on and they won't be played.  

Again, click on the city and look at the city map. Every attack line in the city map correlates with the same line on the war map.  Know****  what lines are open, closed, and benefit the assault!  

More advanced RTS instruction is available for a small donation ;p

Many thanks for your input, I understand where you are coming from with adding the armour, recon at beginning but too risky for my liking ;) I am glad that you mentioned the dead line scenario as I see a lot doing this :(. Maybe you have a business opportunity here with the advanced rts ;) Please contact Twotapes if you would like to learn them ;)

16 minutes ago, Champi0n said:

Recon planes are just ruining games...

Fighter plane queues are extremely long, if you dont deploy your fighters in the first hour of the game, you will probably never have a chance to do so...

A very very true statement, I find when these are added before games begin then you are guaranteed 5-6 pilots and the battle will most probably be lost :(

1 minute ago, Vudu_guy said:

Sending recons ATs to any attack will reduce your chances to win 50% if not more.

There are more noobs queuing as recons for war than pilots or tier1 tankers.

Also if a defense had more than 1 recon AT, you can bet you will get 5 or  6 wannabe recons dying without killing anyone.

RECON at´s sended to battles before they ar full are the real cancer that leads to defeat.

This is very true Vudu_guy thank you for your input. A lot of people know that I play all factions and I am sure that a lot of you do as well which is great for the game. I have found that the US seem to go through the most recons, I don't know why as you would have thought that all factions would have their fair share of this class of player.

Please add any rts tips that you would like to share. This shall hopefully help the H & G community and give newer/older players a bit more of an understanding.

Kilowolf    576

recon planes might be crap in the fps, but they are still very worth while to use on the RTS map.   Using recon planes is a nice quick way to get eyes on the entire front line to help you decide where you want to focus your ATs.  I believe the recon planes have the same, if not better, vision than the mech recon units. 

Fegaris    1,743

there is already guide like this ..kek ..or was 

but nicely summed 

Edited

PaveMentman    73

---

Even though "strategy-layer"-wise this game is game is very shallow (or at least when it comes to auto-resolver), there is one element I personally would have wished to be mentioned:

Map / terrain-knowledge, which strategy-wise is pretty much the most important element in all forms of strategy.

All assault-team-resources-wise, there are lines that some resources work better via than some others.

For example if you are sending only infantries with minimal amount of motorized-vehicles, favouring assault-lines with easy-access of bicycles.

Or another example: Sending tanks via "fjords" is not wise either, since they are be trapped "in the middle" for a too long time, thus being "sitting-ducks".

---

The "rule-of-thumb" of "everything else is there to support infantry" is always good to remember. Thus thinking before hand whether the resource is going to much of help against a good team is going to save a large amount of warfunds / making opponents less richer.

For example, reconnaissance-planes work far better for defense-mission than for assaulting due the defense positions (most of the time) having favouring placements for the anti-air-guns.

On the other hand tanks work far better outside cities. And are excellent to support infantries that need to cross choke-points, be a river via bridges or anything else that would need some "long-range-direct-fire-"flushing""-capabilities.

Having played with all the resources and thus having the experience is the best source to know where to send the non-infantry-resources.

---

---

(( I am kind of wanting to eventually write a quite extensive in-depth-analysis of all the assault-lines, if not only to help newbie-commanders; it wil require a lot of work writing-wise, so maybe or maybe not I will eventually publish it. ))

---

---

---

16 minutes ago, Kilowolf said:

recon planes might be crap in the fps, but they are still very worth while to use on the RTS map.   Using recon planes is a nice quick way to get eyes on the entire front line to help you decide where you want to focus your ATs.  I believe the recon planes have the same, if not better, vision than the mech recon units. 

Correct they defo have their uses as in eyes in the sky. I believe that they have more visibility than mech recon.

BERKSHIRE10    163

Good work, I would add that it is important to click the town you are assaulting to see how the lines are laid out.  Town map for example, always send troops down A-line if available.  The next best option is to open 2 adjacent lines (b/c, d/e) so you don't have to worry about defenders spawning in your rear.  

I am mixed on the tanks prior to battle start, I usually set up 3-4 battles in Scandanavia and then FPS wherever I can find a match.  If I'm not paying close attention I'll send some tanks to help whatever randoms end up fighting my battle... never more than 1 AT for sure.  And recons are only sent to assaults after they are full and we need the bike resources.

27 minutes ago, Fegaris said:

there is already guide like this ..kek ..or was 

but nicely summed 

Nice maybe add the link to it here so then players can see both threads/guides and add to them.

21 minutes ago, PaveMentman said:

---

Even though "strategy-layer"-wise this game is game is very shallow (or at least when it comes to auto-resolver), there is one element I personally would have wished to be mentioned:

Map / terrain-knowledge, which strategy-wise is pretty much the most important element in all forms of strategy.

All assault-team-resources-wise, there are lines that some resources work better via than some others.

For example if you are sending only infantries with minimal amount of motorized-vehicles, favouring assault-lines with easy-access of bicycles.

Or another example: Sending tanks via "fjords" is not wise either, since they are be trapped "in the middle" for a too long time, thus being "sitting-ducks".

---

The "rule-of-thumb" of "everything else is there to support infantry" is always good to remember. Thus thinking before hand whether the resource is going to much of help against a good team is going to save a large amount of warfunds / making opponents less richer.

For example, reconnaissance-planes work far better for defense-mission than for assaulting due the defense positions (most of the time) having favouring placements for the anti-air-guns.

On the other hand tanks work far better outside cities. And are excellent to support infantries that need to cross choke-points, be a river via bridges or anything else that would need some "long-range-direct-fire-"flushing""-capabilities.

Having played with all the resources and thus having the experience is the best source to know where to send the non-infantry-resources.

---

---

(( I am kind of wanting to eventually write a quite extensive in-depth-analysis of all the assault-lines, if not only to help newbie-commanders; it wil require a lot of work writing-wise, so maybe or maybe not I will eventually publish it. ))

---

---

---

Great addition, thank you for your time and effort ;)

DoomedInDoom    52

I'd like to add...

Communication and interaction:

-When you enter an area, look at others' ATs. Try to determine who is active, and who isn't.

-Keep an eye on your Army's Chat channel.

-If you plan on making a move that may effect the flow of strategy, try to work with others around you, through Chat or PM.

-Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you are trying to help in the war effort, there is always someone willing to help you.

Edited
I'm "Stoopid"

1 hour ago, Berkshire10 said:

Good work, I would add that it is important to click the town you are assaulting to see how the lines are laid out.  Town map for example, always send troops down A-line if available.  The next best option is to open 2 adjacent lines (b/c, d/e) so you don't have to worry about defenders spawning in your rear.  

I am mixed on the tanks prior to battle start, I usually set up 3-4 battles in Scandanavia and then FPS wherever I can find a match.  If I'm not paying close attention I'll send some tanks to help whatever randoms end up fighting my battle... never more than 1 AT for sure.  And recons are only sent to assaults after they are full and we need the bike resources.

Thank you for your input, I also add recons for their bikes when battles are full and vehicles are needed.

1 hour ago, DoomedInDoom said:

I'd like to add...

Communication and interaction:

-When you enter an area, look at others' ATs. Try to determine who is active, and who isn't.

-Keep an eye on your Army's Chat channel.

-If you plan on making a move that may effect the flow of strategy, try to work with others around you, through Chat or PM.

-Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you are trying to help in the war effort, there is always someone willing to help you.

Yes some more great additions, thank you very much as there can never be enough knowledge ;) I believe some players (new ones) do not realise the actual amount of activity on the war map. The fronts can change very quickly so it is always best to look at any info that you can so that you do not get caught out. Many of the US players for the last year saw my 216 assaults, I would constantly repeat these against big stacks to attempt to moral them out. I see that quite a lot now do this (I probably was not the first but I adapted to the tactic quickly).

Edited