RadicalEdward2

New Map & Building Concepts

boldin    870

You have too much free time, dude, spend it on something more useful than this wishful dreaming. Because no matter how good your ideas are, they will not be used.

Sorry if it sounds toxic, but its the truth.

RadicalEdward2    1,828
You have too much free time, dude, spend it on something more useful than this wishful dreaming. Because no matter how good your ideas are, they will not be used.

Sorry if it sounds toxic, but its the truth.

Dude, I know I probably won't get noticed or hired. Even if they did want to hire me, chance are they wouldn't because it wouldn't happen because of some Denmark legal matters. Regardless, even though you might think this is a waste of time, it's better than dedicating thousands upon thousands of posts asking the devs to nerf weapons or give them gold.

Whether I get recognition or not, I'm still using this as a way to improve my Photoshop skills. Rather than simply giving up on trying to reach out to the devs (and yet still dishing out cash for Gold), I'm actually trying to make an effort to get my name out there in a way that could one day bring the game more content.

If you're going to be a defeatist and accept that nothing is ever going to improve, then of course nothing is going to change. Instead of simply stating what's wrong with the game, I'm trying to go the extra distance by showing visuals that present not only what is wrong with the game but, ways that the game can be improved. At the end of the day, this isn't hurting anyone legal, financially, or creatively.

Did you send in your application yet?

Yeah. They're currently not hiring but, some of the team did acknowledge the work I compiled for them (the mockups for Factory and Town Assault) in the response email.

igigor    7

You should make a skirmish map like "encounter - monastery" but based on the swamp in the old map "chateau" with many ambush opportunities.

PS: you do a realy great job !

RadicalEdward2    1,828

I made another encounter map called, Mountain Lodge.

Mountain%20Pass%20Encounter_zpsvfwmhnzs.png~original

If the image is too small, click on the link below for the larger version:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/MandalorianGuard/Mountain%20Pass%20Encounter_zpsvfwmhnzs.png~original

I thought it would be cool if there was an map specifically for Encounters in mountainous areas of Europe. A detail that I wish eventually made it into the game was an interior for the 4-floored inn with access to all of the windows.

20161111144850_1_zps0nirqwol.jpg~original

With an exterior so unique, one could only imagine how fun it would be to fire from inside of it. At the same time, I'm kind of irritated how there's so many buildings with clearly visible windows on their exteriors but, solid walls inside.

20161112234312_1_zpsiox02k6u.jpg

I also wanted to include a version of the fancy windowed restaurant with open doors and windows. Once they make versions of some of the pre-existing assets with detailed interiors, the game would definitely have some more variety.

The layout of the map is also pretty straightforward for an Encounter. Two factions run into each other on a mountain pass and find themselves fighting for supremacy over an old mountain lodge that was converted into a listening outpost (complete with an AA gun).

Like the Depot Encounter, the entire Lodge area is considered the capture zone (interiors included). While the capture zone seems really open, if interiors are made for the two previously mentioned buildings, the map can easily grow to have equally as much variety in gameplay as a Skirmish map.

Infantry would have the ability to hold out in the garage, tavern, and/or the rooms of the inn and fire back and fourth at each other from the three buildings.

I wanted to make a map that also has limited options in terms of approach. To do that, I chose to make the northwest side of the map a mountain wall and the southeast side a cliff that could kill you the moment you fall over the edge.

After hearing desji's reason for the lack of cliffs and mountains in the game, I know we probably won't see a map like this for quite some time but, it would be pretty sweet once the devs figure out how to incorporate them.

BrandonSolo10    3,560

Guys like you really make me think that if RETO had hosted mapmaking contests (which circumvents their holy Danish law), we'd have a million maps by now and they'd be able to concentrate more on critical updates such as Armour 2.0.

RadicalEdward2    1,828
Developers need to focus on fixing what they have, before adding more maps.

At the same time, I believe the devs are too comfortable with making changes to already existing maps. I feel like their tampering with existing maps is stunting their ability to create newer maps. If you were around for the BETA, Mountain Town was originally different enough to be considered it's own separate complete with farmland and mountain ranges.

Heroes-Generals-Mountain-Map.jpg

Flint74    604

The thing is, the one Reto that does occasionally get involved in discussions here on the forum is also a key part of their map-making process, namely Reto.desji.

He himself has previously said that he does tend to notice and pay attention to threads with sensible and well thought out map ideas, so there's always a chance he'll spot and make a note of this thread too, if he hasn't already, just as he did in fact with GruenerTeufel2's original 11-page map suggestion thread which was recently reposted on here in order to remove all the broken BBCode and can now be found at https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/topic/61447-map-ideas-and-suggestions-20/

Edited

boldin    870

If you’re going to be a defeatist and accept that nothing is ever going to improve, then of course nothing is going to change.

Im sorry to sound defeatist but in fact im long past that phase (along with the appreciation, blame and suggestion stages). In my 2 years of forum reading and almost 5 years of playing the game Ive learned that Reto doesnt want outside thoughts on its project. Instead of hearing people voices they prefer to experiment on players, trying to bend them this or that way. Their god isnt a customer but statistics.

It is just the way it is. This game is "take it or leave it" kind.

So yeah, go ahead and hone your Photoshop skills, im definitely not stopping ya. But IMHO youd have MUCH more response if you tried any other game out there.

ZippTye    11

Developers need to focus on fixing what they have, before adding more maps.

At the same time, I believe the devs are too comfortable with making changes to already existing maps. I feel like their tampering with existing maps is stunting their ability to create newer maps. If you were around for the BETA, Mountain Town was originally different enough to be considered it’s own separate complete with farmland and mountain ranges.

Heroes-Generals-Mountain-Map.jpg

Who said anything about maps... I'm referring to mechanics, audio and balance, it should be first and foremost over anything right now.

As far as the developers messing with current maps, they just did that, and now the spawns are literally right next to each other and makes the game play literally a cluster ####.

RadicalEdward2    1,828
The thing is, the one Reto that does occasionally get involved in discussions here on the forum is also a key part of their map-making process, namely Reto.desji.

He himself has previously said that he does tend to notice and pay attention to threads with sensible and well thought out map ideas, so there’s always a chance he’ll spot and make a note of this thread too, if he hasn’t already, just as he did in fact with GruenerTeufel2’s original 11-page map suggestion thread which was recently reposted on here in order to remove all the broken BBCode and can now be found at https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/topic/2620833/ (N.B. the original version of his thread can be found at https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/topic/1179775/).

Oh I know Reto.desji is a cool dude. He actually commented on my previous post regarding a revised mockup I made of Mountain Town.

https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/topic/2625286/

I do like his revisions to Mountain Town in the new build. The new version looks great but, it still needs work.