RadicalEdward2

Ways to Fix Town Assault (images and notes included)

RadicalEdward2    1,853

I also forgot to mention, because the forum shrinks the images by default, right click on them and click to "View Image" in order to see the slightly larger version.

Buddy, submit those suggestions to a developper presto, they’re flawless.

Thanks. I'm planning on resubmitting my application to them tomorrow with all of these changes attached as part of my portfolio.

This is amazing, but A line seems to take a massive tangent into the town, perhaps moving it across so that that A2 and A3 were closer (by moving A2 and A1) may be better. Otherwise great changes to the map and it will feel much more like a proper town then (like mountain town)

Timberwolf581    218

Always wanted a bigger town. I do feel it might be an idea to have both the current town map and a town map with a bigger town.

Xeator    741

I do remember RedBjarne actually saying that he would at some point like to expand the town to the other side of the church as well. That is, to the A side of town.

I like the vision of a larger town, after all this was supposed to be a "french medium town", currently I would say that its barely a small one.

If Reto goes on ahead and expands the town quite, I dont see why it couldnt even expand over the river somewhat, but after the town takes a larger portion of the area on the map, the map should actually be extended even more to accommodate combined arms gameplay again. If its just a large town and nothing else, tanks/recons etc will have a hard time doing anything useful.

All the maps could still use a lot of touching up. Im sure Reto will tweak them at some point again, but currently I just hope they rather release new maps instead of focus too much on the old ones.

RadicalEdward2    1,853
This is amazing, but A line seems to take a massive tangent into the town, perhaps moving it across so that that A2 and A3 were closer (by moving A2 and A1) may be better. Otherwise great changes to the map and it will feel much more like a proper town then (like mountain town)

My reasoning behind the massive detour is because E4 and A4 seemed too close to each other. So much so, that E Line spawning defenders easily made their way over to A4 to recapture the point by walking through the A4 depot garage. It was extremely predictable. By moving A3 and A4 into the annex, it would give defenders and attackers a bit more breathing room while also adding a bit more tension to defending forces without overwhelming 02 (Church). Plus, a push up hill towards the church from A3 to A4 would definitely bring some heated and "Hollywood-esque" firefights.

The whole idea of making A Line detour into the town rather than making a straight shot for it from A2 would also get rid of the absurdly placed 02 spawn (the one out in the middle of the field behind the church). At the same time, I was also inspired by the tight-cornered/close-quarters tank and infantry warfare seen in some of the older WW2 genre shooters like the Panzer attacks in the Arnhem Knights mission of MoH: Frontline and the winding city roads from the Saint Nazaire missions of MoH: European Assault.

Overall, I wanted to deviate from Heroes and Generals' open field and woodland style guerilla warfare as it's the only style of fighting I've seen on any of the maps; without any actual focus on urban combat (outside of fighting in the area between C4 and the Police Station in Town Assault).

In order to give the detour some purpose, I should have placed some hedgehogs on the roads leading to old A4 from old A3.

I do remember RedBjarne actually saying that he would at some point like to expand the town to the other side of the church as well. That is, to the A side of town.

I like the vision of a larger town, after all this was supposed to be a “french medium town”, currently I would say that its barely a small one.

If Reto goes on ahead and expands the town quite, I dont see why it couldnt even expand over the river somewhat, but after the town takes a larger portion of the area on the map, the map should actually be extended even more to accommodate combined arms gameplay again. If its just a large town and nothing else, tanks/recons etc will have a hard time doing anything useful.

All the maps could still use a lot of touching up. Im sure Reto will tweak them at some point again, but currently I just hope they rather release new maps instead of focus too much on the old ones.

I hope my arrange of the east town annex gains enough of a following that it encourages Reto to push for overhauling the Town Assault. As of right now, the path from B3 to B4 is still very stalemate prone. The same goes for all of D Line (sans my revisions).

RadicalEdward2    1,853
As much as i like these ideas actually making them ingame is another thing.

That is an undeniable truth and I know that even if these ideas were taken into consideration, it would probably be quite some time before we see all of them in-game. Having no experience in the field of game development (professionally), I definitely give the devs credit considering how far the game has come since it's earliest build.

TheIthuriel    805

Though maybe these changes would take some time, this awesome idea would not only make the map better in terms of balancer (less ability of spawn camping in the town for instance), but also would be contributing to the feeling of the town, because as of right now it feels... strange, but more like a village with town houses, and not really a town, with these amounts of extra houses (maybe even make them all accessable) it would feel at least a lot more "towney" :)

RadicalEdward2    1,853

I almost forgot to include this mock-up I made for the D4 bridge. To be honest, this design could probably work with both of D4 bridge in Town Assault and the 01 Bridge in Forward Airfield.

I always thought the tower and the lower AA battery should have been connected. The fact that there's just a small compartment behind the AA gun with a wall dividing the two areas doesn't look like it makes too much sense.

Adding a connecting room below the bridge would give defenders a chance to run to the AA gun without getting their head blown off by running in plain sight. At the same time, it also could counter defenders that try to camp in either the lower floor of the turret or in the small compartment behind the AA gun. Also, moving the radio into the said new connecting room would definitely look a lot nicer than having it sitting outside on the bridge's roadway.

Fixing%20the%20Bridge%20Turret%20Building_zpsommtota2.png~original

StRe1cHeR    70

in my opinion there should be another town map which would be bigger one than we have right now, but i have nothing against your suggestion.

RadicalEdward2    1,853

Agreed. At the very least, they should make one with a more urban architecture style.

UPDATE:

Speaking of the devil, as of devstream #81, the Town was once again, reworked. They fixed the Police Station defender spawn areas.

They also reworked the iron bridge with barricades in a style kind of like the Nijmegen Bridge in Frontline. At the same time, they also made the actual bridge into the new C4. It's pretty interesting but, whether moving all of the points out of the city will work is up for debate when the update is released.

The bridge is intended to be used for vehicles still.

They also gave old C3 (the attacker end of the bridge) a makeover and gave it a much need modernization with rowhouses. Also, the new rowhouses appear to be enterable which looks really nice. I just hope they plan on adding some furniture though because the interiors are still empty.

This upcoming update is definitely a step in the right direction. They didn't expand the east section of the city yet but, it's a start.

In regards to B3's old location, they actually added the shallow area to the spawn island that I mentioned in my revision. I think it's probably coincidental but, they also removed the islet as a spawn area so that's definitely great.

I really love that they're trying to eliminate the open space between C and B line. The B line manor is still unchanged but, that doesn't mean the staging area can't come later on.

They also revised all the A line spawn areas and made them closer to the capture points and even added more bikes and health crates to all the maps; a definite plus.

As a bonus, you can shoot in spawn areas now and spawners are invincible. They should do away with the black/white filter though. It's still pretty counter-immersive.

----

As a heads up, I'm planning on updating these two posts (the Town revisions and Factory revision threads) as new devstreams and updates are rolled out. It'll work more or less like a blog of sorts.

I will post my thoughts on the Factory update in the Factory revision thread which you can check out by following the link below:

https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/topic/2568971/

I am all for a larger town map. I like long range fighting and sniping as much as the next guy, but I want a few more opportunities then control points to use my sub machine guns or assault rifles. This game could use some more close range combat. However this would require the creation of a lot of new assets into the game and could also result in an increase in performance issues. So as much as I would love to see this in game it will probably be a long way off. Also I don't think Reto has that many people who work on creating new assets so unless they hire some more guys it will definitely be a while.

RadicalEdward2    1,853

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, I made a post with ways to fix Mountain Town.

You can check it out by following the link below:

https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/topic/2625286/

There was also a news update regarding the future of Town Assault that's worth checking out. It covers some of the aspects mentioned in devstream #81 but, it's still worth taking a look at:

https://heroesandgenerals.com/2016/11/deploy-zone-relocations-incoming/

Xeator    741

The vehicle spawns in O2 spawn are pretty bad. They should all probably be rotated to not face O2. Instead, towards B line or A line.

And tanks spawning in the middle of those buildings? How about moving a tank spawn into the garage that is in that very area?

And how about scattering some of the tank spawns in O1 as well? They are all boxed into that death trap currently. O1 still has the other garage as well. I dont see why tanks shouldnt still spawn there too.

And one thing in general, which isnt tied to any particular map: Why are spawns always forced onto one side of a line or objective? Why is it not possible for instance to spawn on either side of O1 or O2 on the town map? Its always the south side. On attack lines you say you dont want lines to overlap so you move spawns to the opposite sides.

Take for example A line, the spawns jump from one side of the attack line to the other. Best example is A2-3 and A3-4 spawns. Why do we have no control over which side of a point we spawn on? A2-3 spawn is absolute garbage for instance. Its so easy for the defenders to just camp near the O2-A4 spawn in the woods, leaving the attackers completely in the open. Often times I rather just spawn in O1 way way back and use the other flank, that way I at least stay alive long enough to reach A3...

Cpt_MacRon    35

I just see ONE bad point in your first Post:

- 01 and 02 are no more in the center of the town but on the left side so....

- Add a O3 objective in the right area of the town (the part of the town you drawed) to rebalance the town

;)

This is something i'd really like to see! I'm just thinking of all the roofs I can jump to.

I would like to see more commercial type buildings there. Something like this, which I pulled from cow's megathread on making HnG great again would be nice.

[ ] Further Map Development

- It’s good to see this one is in the process, but I don’t think any of the maps we currently have are truly finished. As an architecture student, the Town map, for example, lacks the infrastructure necessary to be a functional town. It has a handful of residential buildings (which don’t really feel like a family could live in there because of its awkward floorplan and room layout), a police station (that is the same layout as the D1, B1, and A1 estates), and a massive cathedral (which doesn’t belong in this underdeveloped village, oh and it’s missing pews and a raised altar area). In order for this village to feel like a town, I think there needs to be an extension of the urban area to the backside of the cathedral, with the cathedral being the central focal point of the town.