Sign in to follow this  
Africandave

Wiki Editing Guide

Africandave    179

-Simple Editing-

We can see here that both the gold and credit price for German recons' Light Green camo is missing, let's fix that!

EDIT: Click the images to see a larger/easier to read size

First click on "Edit Source" under the German Uniform section to edit this section (or if you want to browse the whole page you can click "Edit Source" at the top right of the page).

image.png

Now we are looking at the wikitext featuring semanticmediawiki code under the "Wikitext" tab. Where there was previously only question marks I have added the new gold and credit price.

image.png

Next click the "Preview" tab to see how it looks. Looks good to me! If something isn't quite right you can switch back to the wikitext tab and edit it again. Now let's publish this edit! Always preview your edits before you publish, It's like proof reading an email before you send it.

image.png

The final step is optional, if you like you can include a brief description of your edit that will help other editors to easily see understand what has been done.

image.png

Remember that any edits can be reverted and fixed easily meaning you don't need to worry about making a mistake, just give it a go!

Africandave    179

-Uploading An Image-

Uploading an Image, such as a screenshot or useful icon/ other image, is super easy!

There are two ways to upload your image.

• By dragging and dropping the file into the upload area while you are editing a page
  • Or by entering the "Uplaod File" area of the wiki, which gives you more option including adding a description or applicable licensing rights

picedit.png

To include a file in a page, use a link in one of the following forms:

• [[File]] to use the full version of the file
  • [[File]] to use a 200 pixel wide rendition in a box in the left margin with "alt text" as description
  • [[Media]] for directly linking to the file without displaying the file

Or simply follow the templates in the "Gallery" sections of vehicle,weapon,character pages.

Done!

Edited
Fixed

Africandave    179

Seeing some nice edits recently! Useful tips especially. Why not make an account anons?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

martosG    0

How does this work exactly? Just anyone can edit things..? I mean, if for example I edit something, does it immediately get posted, or does it need further approval or something like that?

Africandave    179
How does this work exactly? Just anyone can edit things..? I mean, if for example I edit something, does it immediately get posted, or does it need further approval or something like that?

Yep, ANYONE can edit the wiki even if you don't have an account. Almost all pages are open and edits are imediate, some high traffic pages are protected of course bur for the most part it is open. All edits are monitered for spam etc by me and others.

Africandave    179

-Creating a New Page-

There are several ways to start a new page. These can vary based on the type of page started, as well as the wiki and namespace.

• From the search box
  • Starting a page through the URL
  • From a link

From the search box

If you search for a page that doesn't exist (using the search box and “Go” button at the upper left of the page),

Capture.png

then the following line will appear:

Create the page "New page" on this wiki!

Capture2.png

It will be above any search results should any appear. Simply click on the link to open the new page for editing.

Starting a page through the URL

Using the browser address bar to enter an URL to a new page is another way to start the new page process. Easier still is editing the pagename part of a URL for an existing page. Using the URL for the new page displays the default 'no article' message. The default page has the usual Edit this page link, which can be used to begin adding content.

From a link

New page links typically look different from links to existing pages. Depending on settings, a different color or a question mark is used. (Sometimes links to new pages are called "red links", the display option of one of the settings). Links to non-existent pages are created with [[New page name]] from the wiki editor. (In this case, the empty page "New page name" would be created).

Capture4.png

Most pages for new items etc have already been made but if a new item or feature is implemented somebody has to be the first to make it!

ReDemoN    93

1 Year ago when I was editing the wiki I used to create pages by typing in the URL a page that did not exist, I found it easier for me at that time :D

Africandave    179
Nuclear warheads sound like an awesome idea :)

Hehe just an example ;)

1 Year ago when I was editing the wiki I used to create pages by typing in the URL a page that did not exist, I found it easier for me at that time :D

Yea me too the quickest way as well :)

BushElito    1,200

Question: does it require any knowledge in html or anything similar?

(offtopic, nice yellow name bruh)

Africandave    179
Question: does it require any knowledge in html or anything similar?

(offtopic, nice yellow name bruh)

Absolutely none :D the semanticwiki style is basically its own format with just a few tricks to it. Creating tables and infoboxes becomes a bit more tricky but adding in paragraphs of text or changing prices etc is dirt simple. Somewhat like editing posts on this forum in some cases.

;)

Africandave    179

-Creating and Using Templates-

Templates are handy shortcuts that editors can use and create to make editing the wiki an easier and faster process. They achieve this by quickly inserting a large table, infobox or text that has been previously created by using short and simple word/s framed with 2 brackets eg. {{Example}}.

This means adding information that is needed across many pages can be standerdised and when it needs to be edited it affects all of the templates on a "global" level (basically all the templates on pages will always show the same thing) which makes updating things a lot easier.

You can create a template by;

Then simple create a page as per usual

Let's use that link as an example...

Check out the link for some random words.

Now if that were useful information that needed to be on range of pages, say weapon pages, we could simply take our new template {{Example}} and add it appropriately.

Easy!

Templates are used EVERYWHERE from basic infoboxes and tables to and more complex pages like Clan pages and the dreaded main page that require .doc pages to ensure they behave. But that is for a later date ;).

Here is my favourite template :Dhttp://heroesandgenerals.gamepedia.com/Template:Welcome

hungamer181    2

Hi. I would like to Help out in the wiki. I was thinking about updating the Hungarian Wiki page, if nothing else translate the original English Pages to hungarian ones, But i don't know how since i don't have any experience with it, can someone Show me how to?