Clinician

Sleep my little Prince...

Clinician    7

So, you guys have any last words before Reto finally...

Lowers the coffin?

(Also, do not forget about to make copies of Afonso's cartoons, they're pretty neat in my opinion.)

Is this what it has come to? I knew this game was on a downward spiral I just never thought we would reach rock bottom. I give this game 3 years tops until it kneels over and dies. RIP Heroes and Generals.

NJCQEC    88

I might just stick with enlisted from now on. Sure, enlisted kinda sucks and all. however, I know that enlisted has the capability to improve itself, compared to H&G which... hasn't done so in frequent manners, and somehow makes itself worse after every update. 

Oh well. I love H&G, but I don't see it going anywhere but the grave in the next few months/years. 

Edited
Cause I'm just that good

J.Killmister    198

I only hope a really romantic and loyal vet wins irl lottery and spare some money to buy the game's rights from R-M (don't want to even spell this name anymore), so it can be reborn from its ashes...

2 hours ago, J.Killmister said:

I only hope a really romantic and loyal vet wins irl lottery and spare some money to buy the game's rights from R-M (don't want to even spell this name anymore), so it can be reborn from its ashes...

I hope not, rather redo the game in some modern engine instead.

J.Killmister    198
1 hour ago, b.j.blazkovitch said:

I hope not, rather redo the game in some modern engine instead.

That's the point of changing hands... R-M is incapable of doing it, so another owner could maybe afford time and resources to redo the game engine. Don't get me wrong, what they did 10 years ago was promising. A unique, homemade game engine was kinda cool back then, but since they can't refresh it, there's no point insisting to keep the game in mechanical support just to keep it half alive-half dead 

On 6/22/2021 at 2:35 PM, J.Killmister said:

That's the point of changing hands... R-M is incapable of doing it, so another owner could maybe afford time and resources to redo the game engine. Don't get me wrong, what they did 10 years ago was promising. A unique, homemade game engine was kinda cool back then, but since they can't refresh it, there's no point insisting to keep the game in mechanical support just to keep it half alive-half dead 

I think one of the flaws was the home made engine. Once all the key employees left/got fired, they had no one who knew the engine in great detail (hence why they make small updates nowadays)

Mastah    1,206
14 hours ago, J.Killmister said:

Don't get me wrong, what they did 10 years ago was promising. 

The original graphics / visual quality wasn't so bad, and even compared to today's standards the game would have held ground because the game play was fairly unique and much fun.

The WW2 atmosphere >>> current's FaceBook look&feel which truly made H&G an interesting and addictive game along the line of MoH and COD:UO/2, but with that RTS addition to it..

But then R-M decided to 'upgrade' their engine to RetoX 2.0. (unnecessarily)  so they could revamp maps (unnecessarily) in a new map builder to ramp up development speed of new maps (still no progress).

Then, for those interesed in H&G development history - don't blame me for the details - came (in non chronological order)

• Dynamic lighting, which didn't work out as intended
  • FMOD changes which didn't work out as intended
  • Removal of WW2 themed props (axis flags, banners and propaganda speeches) which destroyed the WW2 atmosphere and made you just fighting random towns in a random era
  • Iron sight zoom removed, which worsened visibility
  • Scopes on infantry rifles which diminished fast pace game play
  • Then came new career path that extended the grind and did nothing more
  • Then came messing up the map props and player models dimensions so rooftops became close to inaccessible
  • Then came revamped maps, for god knows what reason (probably to prepare for upcoming tank and plane spam)
  • New spawn concepts which was/is disliked by many (old) players and heavily diminished the open / free map concept.
  • Implementation of Soviet faction which was not needed at the time due to low player count and faction unbalance (and the fact it was a stand alone instead of Allied faction dividing the player base even more.)
  • Then came tank spam which overshadowed infantry game play
  • Then came plane spam which overshadowed infantry game play
  • Then came rocks which made tank / vehicle game play worse
  • Then came RNG which worsened game play
  • Then came shooting from barrel thingy (forget its name) instead of shooting what you are aiming at with the cross hair which led to bull situations
  • Then came cancerous assault rifles that further took away any realism this game had
  • Then came hybrid server set up which hammered the hit detection, together with broken Moscow server
  • Then came the ongoing weapon specs tweaking which has become an never ending story
  • Then came new armor models which don´t work out like they should
  • Then (actually long before that) R-M's income stalled, and staff had to be fired

Then unfortunately we ended up in the current situation... a game that has been stripped from all its good features but no devs available to rework them. :s 

It's just a matter of bad game design decisions, former Game Director should be accounted for.

Not the foot soldiers that actually worked on the programming and managed the forums.

Edited

Zoaron    705
33 minutes ago, b.j.blazkovitch said:

looks like bunch of noobs making their first game but I hope I'm wrong

This game concept is still awesome and particular, there is nothing else around similar to it, so even if it seems to you that they are a 'bunch of noobs making their first game' at least they try, Having learned (the hard way) from this game what to do and what really not should be done, actually something really good could come out of it (over time).

Just give them the benefit of the doubt...

Mastah    1,206
1 hour ago, Zoaron said:

This game concept is still awesome and particular, there is nothing else around similar to it, so even if it seems to you that they are a 'bunch of noobs making their first game' at least they try, Having learned (the hard way) from this game what to do and what really not should be done, actually something really good could come out of it (over time).

Just give them the benefit of the doubt...

I backed a kickstarter WW2 fps game project not so long ago, hyped from all the promises that were made. Also by a group of friends who eventually smelled big money and sold their souls to a bigger publisher.

It eventually turned out to be a dogshiet mixup of fortnite meets CS:Go which centered micro transactions and rainbow coloured skins and such (battalion 1944).

The same path that R-M eventually chosen.. 

So really reluctant of supporting yet another project, though I've seen some old vets passing by on the support page. 

I'll check in, in another year or two or so to see what has become of it.

Edited

23 hours ago, Mastah said:

Then came shooting from barrel thingy (forget its name) instead of shooting what you are aiming at with the cross hair which led to bull situations

Thought it was the opposite, right?

https://heroesandgenerals.com/?p=20617/hip-fire-cone-fire-updated-with-adams-update

Hip_Fire_Diagram_Blocked-610x343.jpg

New hip-fire mechanism

Hip_Fire_Diagram_Headshot-610x343.jpg

23 hours ago, Mastah said:

Then came RNG which worsened game play

Ah yeah, shame...

Changes have been made to the cone fire. When the gun is fired, the shots will hit in a preset pattern within the crosshair.

Sway_Diagram.jpg

Previously the shots would hit in a linear order within the preset sway pattern, this is illustrated as a simplified example above (OLD):

The first shot(1) hits within the pattern, the second shot(2) follow the pattern a few degrees and hits close by the first shot(1). The third(3) and fourth(4) shot follows the same pattern. This generates a linear and concentrated cone fire which only covers parts of the crosshair.

The new system follows the same preset pattern. But rather than hitting in a linear order, the shots will randomly hit within the pattern as seen above (NEW).

Notice how the bullet hits are scattered along the preset sway pattern. This system will create a cone fire that will more consistently cover the area within the crosshair.

Don't think anyone's ever been convinced about this 'more consistency' idea.

Mastah    1,206
10 hours ago, MarineScienceDude said:

Thought it was the opposite, right?

https://heroesandgenerals.com/?p=20617/hip-fire-cone-fire-updated-with-adams-update

Ah yeah, shame...

Don't think anyone's ever been convinced about this 'more consistency' idea.

Yes you're right. I was too lazy to look it up and tried to erase it from my memory...

But situation nowadays is when you are taking cover behind one of those walls or sandbags, (you know those which are just too high in order to properly aim down the sight over the edge due to bad player model ratio,  which is the same reason why we cant exit windows any longer) and you SEEM to have a clear line area of sight, bullets tend to end up against those darn obstacles on many occasions because of that idiotic change.

In before, when you could see the enemy's body and hipfired him with clear sights, you would actually hit. Making game play much more enjoyable than this semi realistic baseball that doesn't work due to, again, bad player model ratio compared to objects/props on the map.

Spoiler

But hey, R-M doesn't even have a map designer any more so... Imagine... a game developer that fired his only employee that was able to at least change something within map design ((even though he wasn't really good at what he did imho --> see map revamp fiasco) it's a lost case.

LuisCyphre    704

Last words, yes... seeing as there are barely any posts in this forum at all these days, it is a real duck move to shut them down under the pretext that they would have to crank up moderating. It just shows how much they value their players and feedback: Not at all.

Aligns with every other bad decision over the years.

J.Killmister    198

It's been almost a week and still neither Hades nor his minions moderators closed this thread...Well color me surprised

Clinician    7
On 6/26/2021 at 5:39 PM, J.Killmister said:

It's been almost a week and still neither Hades nor his minions moderators closed this thread...Well color me surprised

I'm suprised as well. Can't they see how toxic i am in this thread?

*and that Afonso mention, UGH!

Edited

J.Killmister    198
7 hours ago, Clinician said:

*and that Afonso mention, UGH!

Oh shirt...now it's gonna happen!

Thou shalt not say his name!