LuisCyphre

New technologies and gaming communities

Do we need a forum?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do we?

• No, Discord is fine, I don't have to look up anything that happened more than 15 seconds ago.
    • Yes, I prefer slow boomer tech.

LuisCyphre    704

So - Reto decided to shut down the forums. I get why they do it, however, a forum, in my humble opinion, has some perks Discord or other hipster software lacks. Of course, the reverse is also true.

We cannot expect Reto to revise that decision, and that's not the goal here. I'd really like to know how useful you find either to be to you.

Edited

doucheffect    119

Devs, admins, moderators - will be taking their thin skinned, sensitive feelings to a whole new level over on discord.

muh feelings - "Topic Closed"

mambooman    216

We always have the reddit.  Frankly, the moderation of the forums was exceptionally poor.  Though, to be fair, it was mostly one moderator on a power trip.  Discord can be useful....but, at nearly 50, I grew up with forums and am just used to that form of information sharing.  You could see the forums being used less and less as time went by.  So, I can see why they don't want to invest the resources into it.

I do get a laugh out of it knowing...just knowing...there is a mod sitting in a dark room right now talking to himself about how he won't be able to ban people anymore or close topics.

doucheffect    119
11 hours ago, mambooman said:

I do get a laugh out of it knowing...just knowing...there is a mod sitting in a dark room right now talking to himself about how he won't be able to ban people anymore or close topics.

Lol

Fegaris    1,744
17 hours ago, LuisCyphre said:

So - Reto decided to shut down the forums. I get why they do it, however, a forum, in my humble opinion, has some perks Discord or other hipster software lacks. Of course, the reverse is also true.

We cannot expect Reto to revise that decision, and that's not the goal here. I'd really like to know how useful you find either to be to you.

there is huge difference between Discord and Forum

if i consider past forums, it used to be actualy nice place for collecting alot of information about WWII aswell as for great suggestions and here and there chit chat

DIscord on other hand is more like public talking, suggestions are over-spammed and mostly potatoes...since even players with 1 hour play time will tell you nerf this/that/those .... etc. 
I am not saying suggestions on Discord are all bad, but overall are more collected, reasonable (from past 2014-2016), and well introduced and described on Forum.
On Discord its rush rush rush rush

So for suggestions 100% forum
For talks Discord.... ezy ....

LuisCyphre    704

As you might have expected, I'm a forum fan. I have been an active member and for several years a mod of a large German gaming forum (mods.de) since, uh, the times of Halflife 1 - and that has actually turned into an almost family-like and incredibly informative and funny place.

With people getting older, and the old counterstrike main page where it originated from being gone and so on, there are far fewer users these days of course and some dead sub forums, but it still lives at its core and provides an incredibly good way to talk about almost anything, in a way that cannot be rivalled remotely by the ADHD-like Discord or Twitter style of communication. For instance, with the pandemic and everything, subforums for that were created in march 2020 and it has grown into a gold mine of totally reliable, well founded information, flanked by political discussions, mostly in a civilized manner. I doubt you'll find any other place on the internet with such an amount of collected information on every aspect of the subject.

So, I hate seeing forums die, in general and here... :(

Gerrit.    1,052

I like forums. Forums allow a discussion or thread to continue over the span of months, or years. I can read information that has been written last year and continue adding on to it.

Discord is if I want to interact with people right now. And everything that happened last week is old and forgotten. This is great if you just want to chat, but is terrible if you want to find written information, opinions, guides or builds and just want to read up on what happened since the last time you played after a break.

I have been visiting these forums as long as I've played this game (with breaks, since 2016ish?) and I always enjoyed reading up what happened since last time I played. As these forums are about to shut down and I really dislike the way discord works, I'm afraid my last connection to the game is severed.

I do understand the choice to keep discussions in one place for more efficient moderation, but I don't like the death of the forums.

Edited

On 6/11/2021 at 4:57 PM, mambooman said:

We always have the reddit.

47 minutes ago, mancer0119 said:

I get more out of reddit

I dunno, reddit also has the 'recency' problem, I mean, looking at our own subreddit's front page it only goes back to a mere two or three days worth before I'll have to go to the next page and see the posts slide into irrelevancy.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:25 PM, doucheffect said:

Devs, admins, moderators - will be taking their thin skinned, sensitive feelings to a whole new level over on discord.

Not quite so sure... if the devs aren't already talking on the Discord server, they probably won't start now either with the closure of the forums.

Personally I only see four moderators online in the member list who I can actually expect to engage with the rest of the community over the course of a week, only one of which I in practice actually see talking on a daily basis. Unless of course, you're suggesting someone who's not already on the Discord server is going to come over and act in such a way - I wouldn't really know about that sort of stuff myself...

On 6/11/2021 at 2:27 PM, LuisCyphre said:

I don't have to look up anything that happened more than 15 seconds ago.

Might be a bit of an overstatement of how active the Discord server is...

I get the sentiment though, even if I in practice do in fact look up what people have said in the past quite frequently in order to verify my own knowledge about topics. Probably just me though...

SirMrGuyHuman    477
38 minutes ago, MarineScienceDude said:

Might be a bit of an overstatement of how active the Discord server is...

cesspool

1 hour ago, SirMrGuyHuman said:

cesspool

Fair enough, I just thought my experience of the Discord server wasn't that people talked every second of the day 24/7...

SirMrGuyHuman    477
21 hours ago, MarineScienceDude said:

Fair enough, I just thought my experience of the Discord server wasn't that people talked every second of the day 24/7...

place is still a cesspool nearly as infested with brain degeneration as this place is

29 minutes ago, SirMrGuyHuman said:

place is still a cesspool nearly as infested with brain degeneration as this place is

Whatever you say...

I've now gotta figure out how to be ashamed of being part of such a community

Bibor    674

Closing forum is admitting by Reto game is dead so I'm a little surprised. 

Feeling little sad but nothing last for ever. Goodbye, wish you all the best. 

Mastah    1,206

For what it's worth..

I'm a forum warrior. I grew up with forums in Clanbase and see forums like these as an essential part of a game's community and well being (or in the case of H&G.. it's decline). I can't imagine playing a game without a forum. If only to complain, brag, annoy as long as it gives the possibility to go discuss and provide week long feedback in order to tackle the ROOT CAUSE of a visible problem. 

Perhaps I'm turning ancient but I can never get used to spastic platforms such as Twitch and Discord. Crowded with ADHD kids and relatively new people in the world of internet; those that only found out about broadband like last year, and treat the net as something brand new and exciting, wanting to share everything from their pity lives and cropped up minds wit the RestOfTheWorld.

Those platforms are not meant to provide constructive feedback and get to the cause of something. It only delivers bandages on gaping wounds, as we have seen recently with the latest 'updates' of the game; feedback collected from Discord implemented in the game and taaadaaaa... it backfires like crazy because new problems arise.

It's a kindergarten filled with kids and the one who screams the loudest (or pays the most?) gets what he/she wants.

Neah, been there done that like 15 years ago on the likes as ICQ. 

Forums are there to improve your product... Discord and Twitch are a step back in time.

leonfav    15

I use a lot discord for CoH2 and stuff like that, but there i never found a decent suggestion about the game, just usual trashtalk. Closing the forum will only worsen H&G.

Xeator    751

Forums are much better than discord. You can write long elaborate posts about stuff regarding the game, include pictures videos whatever you want. People can take their sweet time reading and replying to posts.

In discord your message will be buried in the endless spam, even if its in something like suggestions channel with slowmode. Forgotten in moments.

Look at any big successful game and see if they have a forum or not. Yeah.. exactly. I get that the forum has issues which still have not been resolved, because people responsible for this stuff are long gone. The forum did get relaunched once already, why not a second time to set it all straight again? If people have time to mod discord Im sure they can handle a forum where the pace is slower.

J.Killmister    198

At last,we understand which is the "silent majority" in the game.All these tanker-recon newbies that crawl in discord seem to have heavier opinions than vets,since everything they ask,change for them to be pleased.Closing the forum drives away more veterans that still hope and try with logical suggestions to keep the game playable,enjoyable and alive.We,the "boomers",can go love ourselves!Reto has been trying so hard to send us away and it seems they are even closer to that...Such a shame for a game with so many potential to have such an end...