chw035

Any Game Similar to H&G in Combining FPS with RTS?

chw035    7

What I like about H&G is that the result of each battle has consequences for the RTS part of the game, but the limited number of maps and weapons means the game is less enjoyable than it could be. Are there other multiplayer games out there (preferably WWII) where winning or losing a battle affects more than just the battle itself (unlike Call of Duty)?

Edited

d|ng    3,317

Not WWII, but Mount & Blade Bannerlord does a nice RTS and FPS combination

Fegaris    1,738
3 minutes ago, d|ng said:

Not WWII, but Mount & Blade Bannerlord does a nice RTS and FPS combination

golden Warband tbh, i think Bannerlord upgraded many things, but complicated and downgraded way more :/ 

d|ng    3,317
44 minutes ago, Fegaris said:

golden Warband tbh, i think Bannerlord upgraded many things, but complicated and downgraded way more :/ 

Yeah it's definitely a work in progress

matziti    359

There is no real multiplayer game like this. The idea and setting of this game is gold.

Too bad some decisions made that the game never reached it's potential.

A lot of new players never stay long enough to discover the true concept of Heroes&Generals...

It keeps me hooked because you have an effect in the game even when you are playing casually.

In other FPS games I lose interest quite fast, or you have to tryhard with a clan and play competetive. But I have too little time to tryhard and I got too old (slow) to compete.

On the other hand I have been playing since 2012 (from 2014 more actively) and the game is still around trying to survive.

Last 6 months there were some changes that gave me morale and I'm willing to throw  more money at reto once clan system arrives.

Edited

hoko90    367
8 hours ago, matziti said:

Too bad some decisions made that the game never reached it's potential.

I think Reto was fooled many times and got lured in deep dive in too many controversial topics like nerf, buff and weapon balance while it almost completely forget about the well defined and agreed on issues like cancer random headshots, bad spawn locations, squad 2.0, etc. The moment they work their heads and address those issues even step by step, the game will - in the long run - top all WW2 genre.

8 hours ago, matziti said:

reto once clan system arrives.

One of my Uni electronic engineering profs one time said to me, if you have a tough problem to tackle, "What are you going to do?", later they tell me, "Stop!! Does that problem worth the time to address?", "If no, how about a workaround?"

Why Reto ( at this time and team size ) are going all the road to try and develop from scratch a Clan System when they can easily use, " Special Camos with the clan name on it for soldiers, helmets, vehicules and maybe some weapon, GOLD ONLY!!! ".

Edited

Snow_Sheltie    18

Planetside 2, (if the game's still active, I don't know) has its own unique take on FPS/RTS. No overhead map, no matchmaking and all the fighting's done in real time on several different continents. Back in the day the would frequently be multiple 96+ player battles between the VS, NC, and TR. However, I stopped playing it two years ago when Daybreak decided that all three factions MUST have equal population on all continents no matter what, which meant frequent, long wait times to join the continent my outfit was operating on because there weren't enough Vanu players online (While the TR and NC's pop were even). Basically, Daybreak managed to kill my outfit in a way that no player-created conspiracy or betrayal could ever hope to achieve (my outfit had at least 4 mutinies and was able to bound back from each of them).

I believe Daybreak at the time was attempting to appeal to the CoD crowd. I became under the impression, especially after the population balance update, that Daybreak hates the idea of large outfits in the game, which was the only real appeal to me. A real shame, I had much fun having up to two platoons of 48 players at my command. A unique challenge considering at a "command" role your "units" are other players who are just as likely to idle about or wander on some misadventure of ill-begotten revenge as they would follow orders. Herding cats in a nutshell.

Baswaldo    601

There's ,WW2 online'. Been around for best part of 20 years. Reto copied it in every way.

Bibor    673
On 12/25/2020 at 6:02 PM, Baswaldo said:

There's ,WW2 online'. Been around for best part of 20 years. Reto copied it in every way.

Hng is a perfect diamond compared to it.

KKND2    113

the previous ww2 fps i played before h&g was wolfenstein enemy territory lulz.

Bibor    673
On 12/27/2020 at 8:24 PM, KKND2 said:

the previous ww2 fps i played before h&g was wolfenstein enemy territory lulz.

Me too. 😀 Good old times. How I loved bazookaing people. 

Heid31stwc    29
On 12/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, Bibor said:

Hng is a perfect diamond compared to it.

You forget ww2 online  was around in dial up modem days . Nothing came close to it back then and even though the graphics still suck ,the actual game play knocks this one out of the park.

Countless maps. Unlimited players per battle. you can multicrew tanks, planes, ships.

You can fly bombers and carpet bomb factories to slow down production. You can blow up bridges to slow down supplies.

At guns, aa guns that u can push or tow to position. Build sandbag emplacements .

And the guy at the top listens to the playerbase.

Downside is you have to pay to play and its not easy to learn if new and its player base has dwindled. In its hey days, there would be 100's of players in a battle.

Bibor    673
11 hours ago, Heid31stwc said:

You forget ww2 online  was around in dial up modem days . Nothing came close to it back then and even though the graphics still suck ,the actual game play knocks this one out of the park.

Countless maps. Unlimited players per battle. you can multicrew tanks, planes, ships.

You can fly bombers and carpet bomb factories to slow down production. You can blow up bridges to slow down supplies.

At guns, aa guns that u can push or tow to position. Build sandbag emplacements .

And the guy at the top listens to the playerbase.

Downside is you have to pay to play and its not easy to learn if new and its player base has dwindled. In its hey days, there would be 100's of players in a battle.

Are we talking about the same game that is still in early access after 20 years of (lack of) developement? Lol. I wont waste time elaborating so here is the most upvoted review about the game: https://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkRiderOfficial/recommended/251950

It was 2 years ago but still relevant if you read a dozens of replies to it from 2020.

Edit: good luck playing with it when the average playerbase on steam is 30 (thirty) people. That's how that game knocks out this. 

Edited

KKND2    113
14 hours ago, Bibor said:

Me too. 😀 Good old times. How I loved bazookaing people. 

i wish we get mortars in h&g like in w:et.  just sit in obj and spam mortar across the map XD

Bibor    673
4 hours ago, KKND2 said:

i wish we get mortars in h&g like in w:et.  just sit in obj and spam mortar across the map XD

There were even some modded servers where you could remote control bazookas. It was so fun smashing people from afar, moving rockets through narrow corridors and tunnels. That game was definitely fun. 

KKND2    113
1 hour ago, Bibor said:

There were even some modded servers where you could remote control bazookas. It was so fun smashing people from afar, moving rockets through narrow corridors and tunnels. That game was definitely fun. 

oh yeah.  i remember jaymod and noquarters.  those were fun XD