emosh73

I am getting slaughtered with Hellcat. Need advice.

Recommended Posts

emosh73    2

Hello,

 

I am new to tanks. Just started playing 2 weeks ago.  I just bought a Hellcat three days ago.  Yes, I know it has paper thin armor and I need to ambush other tanks.

 

This is my problem.  When I ambush an enemy medium or heavy tank, I might hit the fuel supply and maybe some side armor then the enemy just stops rotates and picks me off with a few shots.  I need to know where to aim at good spots for at least the first two shots.  Should I try to aim to detrack them first? Where to aim at tracks? Front or back tracks?  

 

Should I try to aim somewhere else first?

 

I need some advice how to take out medium and heavy tanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuickyCZE    3

Ehh this is a hard one. Ive written few tips for you.

 

#1 Equip Gunner Gold Badge for 25% faster main gun´s reload speed.

 

#2 You should know most common spawn/camping positions on the maps. Dont be afraid to travel a lot with a Hellcat around the map.

 

#3 Destroy enemy tanks´s tracks to lock it in place, just be careful if you destroy only tracks on the 1 side of the tank. Then that tank can turn really quickly on that 1 side but super slowly on the other. This works great against tanks with no turret or slow turret rotation.

 

#4 Dont try to destroy enemy tank on the 1st attempt. Sometimes its just better to shoot him 1 or 3 times for free and then relocate. This works great against slow heavy tanks where sometimes drivers go repair their tank while thinking that you left but you kill them easily with HE.

 

#5 Hellcat´s sway/recoil/moving up and down when stopping the tank sucks a lot. Peek and boo doesnt really work that well because of that.

 

#6 Your key is to flank and ambush, use your mobility and keep relocating. But keep in mind that sometimes Hellcat is too weak to take out stronger Heavy/top tier Medium tanks especially when they have vets/skilled crew inside + strong position. Sometimes you just cant dig out that Tiger II with double zoom sitting on the D4 bridge because he has like 2 people who repair him. Just annoy him, keep him busy, put 1 or 2 shots then leave.

 

At the end most of the times you dont have time for this kind of a gameplay in the war matches because taking out tanks with infantry is just faster and easier. So its better to play tank v tank games or  staged.

 

FUN FACT: I destroyed enemy Tiger II with Hellcat´s .50 cal.

 

Personally in most cases I prefer M10 over the M18. M10´s gun for some reason works better for me, it has better armor which will keep you alive significantly longer compared to the M18´s one. Spawn cost is very cheap while it has also has decent enough mobility + Guys with AT rifles have hard time to penetrate you.  

 

US Tanks in a nutshell: M2A2 - memes, M3 Stuart - good, cheap and spammable, M24 Chaffe - 75mm but it takes forever to spawn it, M3 Lee - needs a good crew on a voice chat :), M10 - great for credit farming, M18 - speeeed, Sherman Jumbo - very good all-rounder my personal choice, M4A1 Sherman - just underrated classic, M4A3E8 Sherman - expensive, kind of meh but that .30 is cool tho, M36 - great against tanks, M26 Pershing is not bad either

 

Check out tank vet called Evelgal on the youtube. He has really nice action/review videos of H&G tanking. Or add me ingame.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hellcat is a Tank Destroyer. By so it meens with his formidable mobility you should flank and hide.

 

If you need advice on shooting, always try to destroy the engine ( it deals a lot of damage compared to ammo racks or fuel tanks ) and the gun breach if you attack an ennemy from behind, which is most likely you will do with a Hellcat. As a german tanker im extremely annoyed by them but i manage to get them eventually. Destroying the engine will not let your prey escape, and if you manage to get the gun breach he nearly wont be able to fight back, especially if your opponent is a heavy tank and you will secure your kill. Also, keep in mind that the Tank Destroyer class tank have a boost of damage over other tank but less HP which makes quite sence.

 

Dont attack the side, the Hellcat is a go kart. Attack from behind, and if you are manly enough or too scared to get hit, you can strike from behind and turn around your ennemy and he doesnt get his gun on you.

Edited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emosh73    2
10 hours ago, AmericanCaptain13 said:

The Hellcat is a Tank Destroyer. By so it meens with his formidable mobility you should flank and hide.

 

If you need advice on shooting, always try to destroy the engine ( it deals a lot of damage compared to ammo racks or fuel tanks ) and the gun breach if you attack an ennemy from behind, which is most likely you will do with a Hellcat. As a german tanker im extremely annoyed by them but i manage to get them eventually. Destroying the engine will not let your prey escape, and if you manage to get the gun breach he nearly wont be able to fight back, especially if your opponent is a heavy tank and you will secure your kill. Also, keep in mind that the Tank Destroyer class tank have a boost of damage over other tank but less HP which makes quite sence.

 

Dont attack the side, the Hellcat is a go kart. Attack from behind, and if you are manly enough or too scared to get hit, you can strike from behind and turn around your ennemy and he doesnt get his gun on you.

Thanks for this.  My problem is that I don't know much about tanks. I always die because the enemy hits my left or right track out and I spin out of control. I never seem or rarely hit the right spot for their tracks to give out:(

 

  Where the heck is the gun breech located?  Can you see the gun breech from the rear? 

 

Should I aim for front? Middle? Or rear side tracks for tanks?

 

Any possibility of sending me a link with diagrams circling areas to shoot at gun breeches?  I have no clue visually where to aim.

 

 

Thanks for your patience. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emosh73    2
19 hours ago, QuickyCZE said:

Ehh this is a hard one. Ive written few tips for you.

 

#1 Equip Gunner Gold Badge for 25% faster main gun´s reload speed.

 

#2 You should know most common spawn/camping positions on the maps. Dont be afraid to travel a lot with a Hellcat around the map.

 

#3 Destroy enemy tanks´s tracks to lock it in place, just be careful if you destroy only tracks on the 1 side of the tank. Then that tank can turn really quickly on that 1 side but super slowly on the other. This works great against tanks with no turret or slow turret rotation.

 

#4 Dont try to destroy enemy tank on the 1st attempt. Sometimes its just better to shoot him 1 or 3 times for free and then relocate. This works great against slow heavy tanks where sometimes drivers go repair their tank while thinking that you left but you kill them easily with HE.

 

#5 Hellcat´s sway/recoil/moving up and down when stopping the tank sucks a lot. Peek and boo doesnt really work that well because of that.

 

#6 Your key is to flank and ambush, use your mobility and keep relocating. But keep in mind that sometimes Hellcat is too weak to take out stronger Heavy/top tier Medium tanks especially when they have vets/skilled crew inside + strong position. Sometimes you just cant dig out that Tiger II with double zoom sitting on the D4 bridge because he has like 2 people who repair him. Just annoy him, keep him busy, put 1 or 2 shots then leave.

 

At the end most of the times you dont have time for this kind of a gameplay in the war matches because taking out tanks with infantry is just faster and easier. So its better to play tank v tank games or  staged.

 

FUN FACT: I destroyed enemy Tiger II with Hellcat´s .50 cal.

 

Personally in most cases I prefer M10 over the M18. M10´s gun for some reason works better for me, it has better armor which will keep you alive significantly longer compared to the M18´s one. Spawn cost is very cheap while it has also has decent enough mobility + Guys with AT rifles have hard time to penetrate you.  

 

US Tanks in a nutshell: M2A2 - memes, M3 Stuart - good, cheap and spammable, M24 Chaffe - 75mm but it takes forever to spawn it, M3 Lee - needs a good crew on a voice chat :), M10 - great for credit farming, M18 - speeeed, Sherman Jumbo - very good all-rounder my personal choice, M4A1 Sherman - just underrated classic, M4A3E8 Sherman - expensive, kind of meh but that .30 is cool tho, M36 - great against tanks, M26 Pershing is not bad either

 

Check out tank vet called Evelgal on the youtube. He has really nice action/review videos of H&G tanking. Or add me ingame.

 

You brought up a good point.  I was unlocked the M10 and M18 a few days apart.  I was wondering which one to buy?  I decided that the M18 would be better since it was an upgrade to M10.  

However, I am getting slaughtered currently by enemy tanks and my repair bills are very high with the Hellcat.  I think it would make more sense to buy the cheaper M10 and practice with it.  It won't burn my credits and it a little more durable armor wise.  I will buy the M10 now and practice with that on medium and heavy tanks. 

 

Makes more sense right?   I will have to try and locate where the hell gun breeches are located on enemy tanks and best spots to try and detrack tanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, emosh73 said:

Thanks for this.  My problem is that I don't know much about tanks. I always die because the enemy hits my left or right track out and I spin out of control. I never seem or rarely hit the right spot for their tracks to give out:(

 

  Where the heck is the gun breech located?  Can you see the gun breech from the rear?  

It's where the barrel starts ;)

From behind you can try and destroy turret ring which is between hull and turret base, makes it rotate a lot slower but imo it's not really worth aiming for since tank can still turn pretty fast using tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krzysiek5657    959
1 hour ago, b.j.blazkovitch said:

It's where the barrel starts ;)

From behind you can try and destroy turret ring which is between hull and turret base, makes it rotate a lot slower but imo it's not really worth aiming for since tank can still turn pretty fast using tracks.

1. detrack

2. take out turret

sounds pretty good tactic while from behind

 

2 hours ago, emosh73 said:

Where the heck is the gun breech located?  Can you see the gun breech from the rear? 

unfortunately gun brench is quite difficult to aim, i wouldnt go for it frontally. It is behind gun plate, so you won't penetrate that easiy. Hellcat is papertank, even on front of turret. It is quite common that it losses gun brench after first hit.

 

I found quite decent spot for gun brench but only from side (it doesnt always destroy gun brench, moreover there's a chance that you won't penetrate at all - it's lottery, but with higher chance).

Especially useful against KT, which is slow, slow turret rotation. if you are at distance, enemy is stationary, it's worth to try to destroy gun brench with first shot, and then deal with track to stop him)

 

5fOF46r.png


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SJGunn    320

emosh73, H&G tanking can be extremely frustrating.  I don't "live" in a tank and haven't memorized all the best areas to aim at.  When I do tank, I run the cheaper ones and always try to keep moving after 2-3 shots.  The only exception is when I'm helping my team with a push on an objective.  Oh, you really need to have the better ammo and HE if you can afford it.  I almost never play my Hellcat anymore and use the M10 instead.  Also, using a cheap tank I don't feel as bad about leaving a burning tank and using my tanker as infantry.     

Edited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emosh73    2
On 11/4/2020 at 8:07 AM, SJGunn said:

emosh73, H&G tanking can be extremely frustrating.  I don't "live" in a tank and haven't memorized all the best areas to aim at.  When I do tank, I run the cheaper ones and always try to keep moving after 2-3 shots.  The only exception is when I'm helping my team with a push on an objective.  Oh, you really need to have the better ammo and HE if you can afford it.  I almost never play my Hellcat anymore and use the M10 instead.  Also, using a cheap tank I don't feel as bad about leaving a burning tank and using my tanker as infantry.     

Thanks for the tips.  Thank you all for the tips as well.

 

As for my tanker, I only can use a grease gun and wrench.  Grease gun only can use ONE clip as well. What load out do you prefer for your tanker?

 

I notice some Germans and many Russians prefer to abandon their tanks after many damages and instead take me out with hand AT nades.  I am so busy trying to finish off their tanks while they kill me first with AT nades sometimes.  Sneaky indeed.  

 

I need to get Golden Gunners badge and have two more levels left.  I am forced to get the armor damage XP and tank kills so I tend to not focus too much on killing tankers or infantry at times.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
drhoops    2,314
On 11/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, emosh73 said:

When I ambush an enemy medium or heavy tank, I might hit the fuel supply and maybe some side armor then the enemy just stops rotates and picks me off

 

16 hours ago, emosh73 said:

Germans and many Russians prefer to abandon their tanks after many damages and instead take me out with hand AT nades.

 

Use the hellcat's best ability:  speed.  Don't park the tank and try to duel a Tiger.  Tigers (and other heavies) are slow to move, slow to turn, and the turrets are slow.  It takes some practice but the best way to kill a Tiger is sneak up on them from behind, shoot them in a track.  They will then begin to turn.  You simply go to the side they aren't turning and keep shooting.  If you're good with driving the tank, they will not be able to get their gun on you before they are dead.  If they bail out, then keep moving and finish the tank then leave.

 

Now, smarter german tankers will either have a second tanker inside who will get out and either repair or try to sticky you.  Or, they will pair up so you can't do the circle tactic on one without the other killing you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fegaris    1,732
16 hours ago, emosh73 said:

I notice some Germans and many Russians prefer to abandon their tanks after many damages and instead take me out with hand AT nades.  I am so busy trying to finish off their tanks while they kill me first with AT nades sometimes.  Sneaky indeed.  

Thats the current problem. I am not saying AT weaponary is OP too much, but its still better and faster at taking tanks down than other tanks. Tank should deal bit more DMG tbh to other tanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SJGunn    320

If a player is a Vet, they can equip the gunner badge and the silver or gold hoarder badge.  That way they can carry a grease gun and a wrench and still have 2-3 extra mags to fight outside their tanks with.  If not a Vet equip gunner badge, carry a handgun, AT grenade, and a wrench.  Options depend on how you play and how often you leave your tank.  Also can try to play with another tanker who will help cover you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a free game account. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now