RadicalEdward2

I Want to Apologize

RadicalEdward2    1,889

I know that since I've joined this games community, my views of the game have gradually turned from optimistic to downright harsh with how cynical I've become. Having taken some time to reflect on that after an H&G stream I did last night, I thought I'd take some time to apologize for how harsh I've been in regards to the state of the game.

I know I've been complaining a lot about how it seems like the devs don't care about the state of the game's maps these but, having taken a look at maps like Mountain Town and Forward Airfield after being away from the game for so long, I wanted to admit that I was wrong.

The devs are trying. Granted, they're not getting asset/map-related content out nearly as consistently as they could/should be but, there's definitely some progress being made.

AYqrdiJ.png

On Mountain Town, the pillbox and actual barricades were moved outside of D-3 and the capture zone was made slightly larger so the barricades aren't all clinging to the perimeter of the capture zone (meaning you don't have to within the stone walled area to capture). Also, there's new props like the wooden barbed-wire hedgehogs and actual chicken wire.

LKhUQsW.png

The river pond between the depot and B-3 was finally removed.

fU8gwmm.png

And I don't know if maybe its just because I've been gone for a while but, it looks like a flat area was finally cleared to make room for the old X-1 buildings and the textures for the elevated train tracks sections were updated.

tip0U6g.png

Also, I don't if its just me but, I think the models for the cabbages/lettuce were updated and their collisions were removed and the foliage sprites that overlapped with the plots were finally culled.

So that's a win in terms of optimization (even if its a small victory).

There's also plenty of other assets (both props and environment features) that were updated that I don't think were ever explicitly addressed in monthly updates like the planked fences and how the water is a more natural deeper blue color or how the sunlight intensity looks a bit more natural (the night lighting still needs work).

The point I'm getting at is, that it was wrong for me to assume the devs weren't doing anything productive. They're trying and I'm sure they're probably stressed out about the current state of the game and the community. Thinking back to the Summit, they probably share the same frustrations as any one of us but, don't know how to go about conveying that to the community.

Long story short, I think there's hope for the game and it still has potential to recover from the state its currently in but, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

And I'm sorry that I'm so harsh when it comes to critiquing the game.

I'm not sure who I'm even suppose to pinging these days so...

@Reto.Hades @Reto.JM

Hope you guys (the devs) are hanging in there.

Fegaris    1,744

To be fair without OBJECTIVE criticism, you cannot improve anything. Thus it's good to criticize stuff here and there with some points. In game currently, i would say, it's not that bad for infantry and weapon balance atm -actualy best Imo in past few years. Only what rly struggles rn are specialized units and maps for sure.

Tanks and recons most of them. Since armor2.0 tanks are potatoes. 

And recon and tanks are basically being spammed by plebs in war, not correctly used in battles by generals and FPS players and being farmed for no reason with ease by infantry. Overstacking and being in every battle is making them basically obsolete.

I mean, I sort of agree with your past criticisms. But it's always good to be objective and not pointlessly harsh with throwing potatoes around.

Good to see you bit back to yourself @RadicalEdward2  

tho, if you remember my 8k post rant-leaving post xD ...everyone slips here and there 

SirMrGuyHuman    477

I rant on how the devs don't care all the time, but I am aware that it's just whinging.

However, like @Fegaris said, there is plenty of warranted objective criticism. I simply lost hope in this game quite a while ago because I just don't see it having a future, regardless of all the good memories I had for the longest time. 

RadicalEdward2    1,889
8 hours ago, Fegaris said:

To be fair without OBJECTIVE criticism, you cannot improve anything. Thus it's good to criticize stuff here and there with some points. In game currently, i would say, it's not that bad for infantry and weapon balance atm -actualy best Imo in past few years. Only what rly struggles rn are specialized units and maps for sure.

Tanks and recons most of them. Since armor2.0 tanks are potatoes. 

And recon and tanks are basically being spammed by plebs in war, not correctly used in battles by generals and FPS players and being farmed for no reason with ease by infantry. Overstacking and being in every battle is making them basically obsolete.

I mean, I sort of agree with your past criticisms. But it's always good to be objective and not pointlessly harsh with throwing potatoes around.

Good to see you bit back to yourself @RadicalEdward2  

tho, if you remember my 8k post rant-leaving post xD ...everyone slips here and there 

Paratroopers also need lots of help (and still need one more addition equipment point) and the maps definitely need help still.

The new assets are nice but, actual substantial map changes are yet to be seen.

I would send out another organized list of changes that have to be map to the existing maps but, I don't know who to send it to these days.

Infantry play isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. The new stamina system works pretty well too but, these days, they really need to cut back on pushing in new weapons and just focus on maps.

As for what you said about tanks, I think one big part of the problem is how all the bots are armed with anti-tank weapons by default (regardless of it they should be able to carry them) cause it just put a dampening on the whole point of trying to make tanks fun again (since now they can't trust their own surroundings in staged and their own game mode).

And yeah I'm back in some degree. I've been getting back into the habit of streaming the game too. I actually ran into viewers and players in-game that recognized me from my post so that's nice.

But, yeah, we all have our ups and downs.

I feel like alot of my sentiments in my "sort-of leaving" post are still kind of valid ones but, I'm just not nearly as frustrated as I was then.

All things aside, good to see you again, Fegaris 🙂

2 hours ago, SirMrGuyHuman said:

I rant on how the devs don't care all the time, but I am aware that it's just whinging.

However, like @Fegaris said, there is plenty of warranted objective criticism. I simply lost hope in this game quite a while ago because I just don't see it having a future, regardless of all the good memories I had for the longest time. 

I'm somewhat in that boat too since alot of the people I used to regularly see on the forums left.

I would definitely say, I had more good memories in the early years than I do now and it really just boils down to whether the game will actually grow to improve itself (new weapons doesn't count as growing though).

At the end of the day, the real question I have now is, who is actually doing the stuff relating to maps (since they keep dwelling on weapons, new interface graphics, and community posts)?

Akinaba    462

@RadicalEdward2 the thing is that devs are slightly but constantly tuning maps here and there, but if you're a constant player those changes are almost no noticable for you. Yet take a break for a moth or better half a year and you will see them instantly. It takes me only to remember what maps were when i just started HnG 1.5 years ago to actually see how many changes were implemented.

Though ofcourse I would like to see even more and further. But on the other hand I do believe they will come at least some time.

On 9/11/2020 at 11:58 PM, RadicalEdward2 said:

At the end of the day, the real question I have now is, who is actually doing the stuff relating to maps (since they keep dwelling on weapons, new interface graphics, and community posts)?

And yes that's an interesting question, couls I like times we were discussing it with at least someone. The other question is would that person actually do what people tell him and if not how the community will react? So im not sure what's better.

P.s. i'm pretty sure that RedBjarne is kinda in charge for maps (at least for now)

P.p.s. I'm really glad that it seems to me that RETO started to look and player map performance and kill and spawn and travel heatmaps to improve them. It's really a kind of one unbiased way to go. I even have a feeling they did some kind of auto-tweaker there (though can not imagine how they could write it).

RadicalEdward2    1,889
On 9/18/2020 at 12:58 AM, Akinaba said:

@RadicalEdward2 the thing is that devs are slightly but constantly tuning maps here and there, but if you're a constant player those changes are almost no noticable for you. Yet take a break for a moth or better half a year and you will see them instantly. It takes me only to remember what maps were when i just started HnG 1.5 years ago to actually see how many changes were implemented.

Though ofcourse I would like to see even more and further. But on the other hand I do believe they will come at least some time.

And yes that's an interesting question, couls I like times we were discussing it with at least someone. The other question is would that person actually do what people tell him and if not how the community will react? So im not sure what's better.

P.s. i'm pretty sure that RedBjarne is kinda in charge for maps (at least for now)

P.p.s. I'm really glad that it seems to me that RETO started to look and player map performance and kill and spawn and travel heatmaps to improve them. It's really a kind of one unbiased way to go. I even have a feeling they did some kind of auto-tweaker there (though can not imagine how they could write it).

Sorry for the super late reply. I've been busy with a lot of IRL stuff.

But, yeah the changes are indeed nice but, more substantial map updates (fixes) would be nice.

I saw that the flamethrower was added but, now that its finally implemented, my main interest is the small possibility that more map tweaks will come since all of the major stuff shown at the Summit are now in-game for the most part.

I know that RedBjarne isn't the head in charge anymore but, I'm still wondering to what degree he is involved at this current moment in time.

J3553x    164

I'm glad a break helped you see the little things I've been messaging you about over the last couple of years. When you're on every day scanning every inch of every map you tend not to the minor changes with every patch. I think that once these maps get their major issues resolved (like floating trees and needless shrubberies) we should probably start encouraging the creation of newer maps to fill out the world. This game has honestly taken a big break over the last year and a half. I've been incredibly happy with the last three or so major updates. Lets keep that momentum.