dit55

Infantry Badge Tier list and Build Analysis

dit55    78

In this tier list I will rate the usefulness of badges of infantry badges in a tier list. Higher on the list is better with the badges in each tier in no particular order.

Disclaimer: I have not explored the use every badge or builds that take advantage of them (especially in the more niche builds). In general, the higher a badge is placed the more likely it is to fit in more builds. The only exception is mechanic because of how OP it is. This tier list is based on my experience with the game, and is subject to bias.

5u5B8s0.png

S- Fast Reload, Marathon Man

A- Pointer Quick Fire, Infantry first, Iron Fist, Quickdraw, Mechanic

B- Dynamite Lover, Tight Grip, Dead-Eye, Heavy Set, Scavenger, Combat Medic, Hoarder, First Blood

C- Grenadier, First Aid, Camouflaged

D- Hand of God, Car Thief, Driver, Nimble, Ghillie

Reasoning and Build Analysis (in order of tiers):

Spoiler

S-Tier:

Spoiler

Fast Reload:

4KpDlDX.png

Reduces time to reload by a few few seconds, really important on most weapons to reduce downtime especially on weapons with small magazine sizes. Useful in all builds except for long range sniping. For example in an Anti-Tank build using rockets it increases your damage output significantly.

Marathon Man:

z2Bu9fq.png

Sprint is a very important part of any soldier as it allows for quick repositioning and maneuverability around the battle. The only downside to sprinting is that it increases your aim penalty bar (increased weapon sway and crosshair size) and MMG effectively removes that by the time you start firing. So basically you are sprinting for free. Just remember to easily cancel sprint by tapping ADS when running into an enemy. Useful, in all builds that do not sit down in one place for long periods of time.

A-Tier:

Spoiler

Pointer Quick Fire:

wiiH43G.png

Very useful when in CQC situations, especially with weapons that have a low rate of fire such as the semi auto rifles i.e M1G where missing a shot can be heavily punished. 

Infantry First:

si6WX7b.png

Makes it significantly easier to destroy recon vehicles and apcs. Useful in Anti-Tank rifles builds and rocket builds specifically to target this subset of vehicles.

Iron Fist:

pFtMyRv.png

Increases damage done to tanks. Really good as a second badge for AT builds behind FRG as it increases your damage output, but not as much.

Quickdraw:

CNNhLhq.png

Reduces how much the gap between crosshairs is increased when turning. Really good for CQC because it makes you more accurate when you need to move your camera a lot.

Mechanic:

gk1G9lB.png

Very powerful utility badge, especially in tank support. It allows tanks to take significantly more hits from other tanks and at infantry when repaired. Comes with a lot of easy bonus xp and free credits as a result (wrenches don't have repair cost).

B-Tier:

Spoiler

Dynamite Lover:

zWS7vf9.png

Only really useful for AT grenade/mine builds. Can easily be replaced by adding an ammo pack to a vehicle.

Tight Grip:

OTD4uI1.png

Reduces the amount of inaccuracy when firing for long periods of time (you slowly get more inaccurate as you prolong your fire). This became a worse badge after the weapon firing rework. If you do find yourself having a hard time hitting shots due to cone expansion in prolonged fire, you can just fire in bursts. With trigger control, this does not become a problem.

Dead-Eye:

LTB5Co2.png

After you stop moving your crosshair will decrease in size, this badge makes that effect faster. Similar effect to quickdraw, but quickdraw has a more consistent effect. To use this you have to move your crosshair and then stop moving it for this to take effect.

Heavy Set:

pRe37oT.png

For all cases that are not one hit snipers we would be counting milliseconds. Ping, aim, and positioning are factors that affect your survive-ability in these situations the most. In the case of one hit snipers just avoid their sight lines. In the end this badge is a crutch as it compensates for the mistakes you make.

Scavenger:

gWEd8H9.png

Unless you are spraying and praying, you will not be running out of ammo, especially when there are ammo creates everywhere.

Combat Medic:

dJUafmK.png

Gives you more med kits. Only really useful if you expect to be healing a lot of people -like in a support build- and don't have a med crate around to refill.

Hoarder:

pwFEKGz.png

Only really useful for paras that want to use their LMG and a health pack. Does not work for AT weapons like Rockets.

First Blood:

pnIV7Gh.png

The same effect as Marathon Man Bronze.

C-Tier:

Spoiler

Grenadier:

A0WAqpf.png

Does not work on tanks, Grenades are already powerful without this badge,

First Aid:

kHuDkxy.png

Makes the process of healing really fast. Not very useful unless you plan on healing a lot of people.

Camouflaged:

AhoMJcm.png

Kill cam sucks and does not reveal your position unless you are close by. Unless you plan on camping in a bush 20 feet away from the enemy, this badge is not useful. If you are a sniper and far away this badge does not help you anyways.

D-tier:

Spoiler

Hand of God:

oWMP3c0.png

Allows you to heal from farther away. Doesn't matter because teammates will run from you anyways.

Car Thief:

SxeBhTi.png

Unless you are in a battle with no vehicles resources on your team, you don't need to worry.

Driver:

4oDKvau.png

Vehicles start up pretty quickly, only use for this is if you plan to get in and out of a vehicle a lot and need to get away really fast. Perhaps it can be used in an AT build aimed at harassing tanks and running away.

Nimble:

TTSMAHD.png

You will always hear their breathing before you hear their footsteps anyway.

Ghillie:

12WAcvu.png

The spotting UI (that triangle that appears) is not very good. The triangle makes it harder to see enemies that are spotted because it always blocks the view of the enemy. So really having it on you for less time makes you easier to shoot.

Thank you for reading.

Edited
Added disclaimer

On 7/14/2020 at 1:25 AM, dit55 said:

Only really useful for paras that want to use their LMG and a health pack. Does not work for AT weapons like Rockets.

I use it for sniper, so if I die and someone steals my rifle, will have only max of 5 rounds

Marathon Man

It became useless since last upgrades, now everybody is running !

Camouflaged

I use it as infantry and sniper, sometime I find good spots to shot enemy and I don't want to reveal my position to revengekill rambos.

Mechanic

Very useful as a tanker

Scavenger

It works only if the enemy carries the same type of your weapon.

Fast Reload

For my maxim-tokarev that takes 7 seconds to reload !

Thanks for this guide, good work, up !

Edited
Orthography and grammatical errors

milkrat    75

I've been away for a while.. but unless they nerfed heavy set.... you're on crack

Fegaris    1,743

Driver and Nimble in D tier ? ...how funny ....

Nimble is most used badge for my CQC guys
While driver + mechanic combo is essential for IFVs.

dit55    78
2 hours ago, Fegaris said:

Driver and Nimble in D tier ?

I personally never found a use for driver over other badges (I personally don't use IFVs so I can't say anything about that).

As for nimble, even on my headset I always hear breathing more clearly than steps. If the sounds in this game weren't so janky I'd consider nimble to be a significantly higher tier badge.

2 hours ago, milkrat said:

I've been away for a while.. but unless they nerfed heavy set.... you're on crack

Unless we're talking about OHK snipers, ping has a bigger effect than HSG does on who dies first. But that's only considered that both players have seen each other at the same time and started firing at the same time. Even in that ideal situation it mostly becomes a question on weapon balance. Regardless, a skilled player who can hit their shots always has an edge on someone who can't.

8 hours ago, TheEvilAndrew said:
On 7/13/2020 at 5:25 PM, dit55 said:

Marathon Man

I'd say its even better after because it drains the aim penalty bar almost instantly (before it just made sprint cost less stamina). So basically you don't get punished for sprinting .

Sprint is a very powerful tool when used correctly. Draining the aim penalty bar that fast effectively makes sprint free.

Edited
Grammar

Fegaris    1,743
11 hours ago, dit55 said:

As for nimble, even on my headset I always hear breathing more clearly than steps. If the sounds in this game weren't so janky I'd consider nimble to be a significantly higher tier badge.

Thats why you dont run, while using Nimble. 

skanki    53

Heavy set is one of the most important badges to get

Hoarder enables builds such as 40 rounds G43 + 12 rounds schreck

Camouflaged + Ghillie is a powerful combo for bush wookies

Imo:

HSG - S

Hoarder Gold - A

Camouflaged Gold - B, along with Ghillie Gold 

Unfortunately for you, while this is a very good idea to try and put badges into brackets, it goes far beyond that. If you made a list just for a first character/for cqc then title so please!

I don't want to come off as rude but there are way more builds that work in different ways and with different badges

F.E.

is HSG + FRG great for an infantryman? YES! Is it good for a tank hunter? Debatable. Is it good for an inf sniper? (I'd go for camouflaged + HSG/Ghillie Gold) etc.

All in all, maybe try expanding your tier list by adding some different combos for different builds?

OC_Ludwig    503
3 hours ago, Fegaris said:

Thats why you dont run, while using Nimble. 

Nimble is useless. The concept behind Nimble is great, and if the game was working properly it would be one of the best badges available. But the sounds are broken, and it is impossible to tell the direction and distance from them, so a badge that hides sounds in a game where sounds aren't relevant for gameplay is not worth using. And lets not forget about that percentage of the population who are just listening to music while playing.

dit55    78
8 hours ago, skanki said:

If you made a list just for a first character/for cqc

My intention was to create a tier list that shows the usefulness of badges in general i.e if I feel it is more useful for more builds then it is higher on the list (with increased weight for popular builds). The most popular build in H&G is CQC to midrange.

Heavy set is one of the most important badges to get

I feel that HSG tries to compensate for skill. As a result, I believe it is more of a crutch as superior positioning and aim will always win you a fight regardless of HS or not.

Camouflaged + Ghillie is a powerful combo for bush wookies

Yeah but a bush wookie build is kind of useless, sure it may be fun but it does not contribute much to victory.

different combos for different builds

I was hoping that was mostly covered in my Reasoning and Build Analysis, where I suggested which badges could fit where.

Fegaris    1,743
7 hours ago, OC_Ludwig said:

Nimble is useless. The concept behind Nimble is great, and if the game was working properly it would be one of the best badges available. But the sounds are broken, and it is impossible to tell the direction and distance from them, so a badge that hides sounds in a game where sounds aren't relevant for gameplay is not worth using. And lets not forget about that percentage of the population who are just listening to music while playing.

Well, I am not gonna say, that sounds are not in potatoes. But you can definetly tell alot by sound, and you can get rly used to it. If you are in buildings you can more like tell the direction of the enemy. Thus if you go around with nimble and listen directions you can awlays outflank enemy. 

For me sound seems to be rly bad for ´´distance´´ orientation. Not direction.

Edited

dit55    78
2 minutes ago, Fegaris said:

If you are in buildings you can more like tell the direction of the enemy.

Before sound got updated I could distinguish footsteps pretty well, however it doesn't seem to work for me anymore. Added to the fact that 99% of people don't use surround sound headsets I don't really see much use for it anymore.

Fegaris    1,743
8 minutes ago, dit55 said:

Before sound got updated I could distinguish footsteps pretty well, however it doesn't seem to work for me anymore. Added to the fact that 99% of people don't use surround sound headsets I don't really see much use for it anymore.

Well i got used to it and can pretty much tell it.

As said, only problem for me is to say, if enemy sniper is 500m away or 100m away...or next to me in bush (thus distance).

Then, i guess, its again about personal preference or sound settings/driver :D :D

Edited

skanki    53
On 7/27/2020 at 10:31 AM, dit55 said:

I feel that HSG tries to compensate for skill. As a result, I believe it is more of a crutch as superior positioning and aim will always win you a fight regardless of HS or not.

Don't all the badges compensate for a skill in a nutshell?

Yeah but a bush wookie build is kind of useless, sure it may be fun but it does not contribute much to victory.

What makes bush wookies useless is HSG

A good bush wookie contributes to victory in two major ways:

1 - pins down the chokepoints

2 - destroys morale of enemy team and ties up unproportionate number of enemy resources just to take him down

I was hoping that was mostly covered in my Reasoning and Build Analysis, where I suggested which badges could fit where.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but from my point of view you didn't go much into detail of different specialized builds. Just said what each badge does. In a nutshell you just replaced HSG with FRG.

I was hoping for at least 4-5 different classes with different builds, f.e tank hunter, mechanic, lmg soldier etc. I'm not exactly trying to say that the badges themselves work different with each "class" moreso that the position of a badge on this tier list changes with each specific build you have in mind. Thus unless you provide for which class this tier list applies or provide other lists/suggestions for builds, constructing such a rigid structure of "what's the best" isn't on point. (especially since everyone may have different opinions on that, marathon man in S tier - wat?)

Hope that helps to clear up my point of view!

dit55    78
13 hours ago, skanki said:

Don't all the badges compensate for a skill in a nutshell?

Fair point, but the other badges have more utility than keeping you alive for an extra 100ms.

A good bush wookie contributes to victory in two major ways

A bush wookie is a person who camps in a random bush farming kd far away from the point where they are not defending anything of import and just shooting people farming spawn(which is why they are lovingly named bush wookies). Capable people will just ignore them and drive by while holding their heads down. Thiscis normally fine except when there are multiple on one team and effectively throwing the match. Camouflage only keeps them alive for longer.

The playstyle you described is how I believe sniping should be (like for d4 bridge in town). At least you are defending something Usually in those spots you are around other teammates or their spawn making you very safe (assuming you are taking pressure of your team). This makes camouflage pointless as you are very safe even if people know where you are.

4-5 different classes

Good Idea, I'll add some sample builds. My goal was to rate how much utility badges had and discuss what builds those badges could fit into. I don't think creating a seperate tier list for badges is useful, because in most builds you only really have a few badges to consider and even then its not a hard choice.

Edited

AdrianVictus    950

Il put Heavy set on tier S and Dead eye on A tier (cuz its basicly pointer quick fire and Tight grip in the same badge but less powerfull for each cuz 50% max)

dit55    78
1 hour ago, AdrianVictus said:

Dead eye

Didn't think of it that way, if that's how it works (because I believe it only takes effect once the action that is expanding your crosshair stops). I did some testing before putting it in the guide, but did not test for that how it reacts when shooting. If it is true then I agree that its a solid A tier.  Will do some testing.

On 7/26/2020 at 3:54 AM, TheEvilAndrew said:

bruh, try pushing and controlling the sway when you get caught  off guard when you finish sprinting  real fun ain't it? 

KKND2    113

us non vet only use heavyset and thats it lulz.

NJCQEC    75

Tight grip to me is numb, I can't feel it on any weapon... they should buff it. 

Sqeek    723
5 hours ago, KKND2 said:

us non vet only use heavyset and thats it lulz.

Because it is the MUST equip badge, perhaps?