Sign in to follow this  
Reto.Hades

Prototype test: UI changes

Reto.Hades    3,433

We have opened the prototype server!

This time you guys can take a look at some upcoming UI changes!

We are working on more UI changes, but these have not yet been finished and will not make it in the upcoming build.

You can download the prototype here: 
http://prototype.heroesandgenerals.com/

You can find the following changes on prototype:

- Redesigned victory progress for encounters/skirmishes
- Redesigned victory progress progression for assaults
- Improved notification when receiving 'extended playtime' (+2 minutes)
- Improved notification once 'sudden-death' has initiated (factions do not hold all victory points when timer runs out)

Known issue:
- Normal capture zones are currently not shown in the victory progress UI. But will be added before release

Khadmon    561
8 hours ago, Reto.Hades said:

Normal capture zones are currently not shown

By the blocking of Faction Icon

NJ2foH9.png

Will this get a fix?

Lobo[PT]    557

The screen is indeed more clean, but the ammo count its way too big of a font, could be smaller for even cleaner gameplay

the stamina bar should be swaped over the heath bar, so the health bar stay on botton.

the overall remaining timer could be placed on a corner, rather that on top mid screen.

donno why i still get more fps on proto than on live server

Edited

PrivateMarkosL    377

Nice changes but i hate how the health bar isn't shown because we need to know how much HP is left

Edited

Xeator    743

I really fail to see the point here. I mean if you want beginners to be more aware of what is going on in the game then the extended playtime and sudden death notifications are a good idea. Though I am not sure how sudden death is implied with a one hour timer? Shouldnt it just read unlimited or 0:00? Or rather add a notification much like the ones you get when new assault teams arrive into battle, just for added time or sudden death? There is no reason to be changing the UI for the victory progress. The old one is tried and tested, it looks a lot better too. The new one looks like it was hastily thrown together.

If you want to display the remaining time in minutes and seconds then thats fine too, just dont do it in such an ugly manner where the timer is just stuck on top of the objective markers.

So you would go from this..

rzHU5R1.png

a very clean and professionally made look to..

chHFgN8.pnguB1uCr1.png

this and this?

The old one was uniform across all gamemodes, why on earth would you want to go changing that? Doesnt that add more confusion for beginners?

In conclusion the old one is simple, easy to read, better looking and no matter what gamemode its always the same so everybody understands what is going on.

dat.duck    165
52 minutes ago, Xeator said:

I really fail to see the point here. I mean if you want beginners to be more aware of what is going on in the game then the extended playtime and sudden death notifications are a good idea. Though I am not sure how sudden death is implied with a one hour timer? Shouldnt it just read unlimited or 0:00? Or rather add a notification much like the ones you get when new assault teams arrive into battle, just for added time or sudden death? There is no reason to be changing the UI for the victory progress. The old one is tried and tested, it looks a lot better too. The new one looks like it was hastily thrown together.

If you want to display the remaining time in minutes and seconds then thats fine too, just dont do it in such an ugly manner where the timer is just stuck on top of the objective markers.

So you would go from this..

rzHU5R1.png

a very clean and professionally made look to..

chHFgN8.pnguB1uCr1.png

this and this?

The old one was uniform across all gamemodes, why on earth would you want to go changing that? Doesnt that add more confusion for beginners?

In conclusion the old one is simple, easy to read, better looking and no matter what gamemode its always the same so everybody understands what is going on.

Thanks for the feedback but I think what could add a bit more is not only saying you dislike proto to what we have now but also what to improve in the old one, so state some things you would like in the UI. I'll do something similar when I get the chance.

Reto.Hades    3,433

The prototype test is now over, I will close this thread again.

Thanks for everyone who tested it, I will go over it right away

Reto.Hades    3,433

Regarding why we are changing it.

The old situation, the capture zones were shown twice or even three times if it was a 3-way battle.
We have toned it down so capture zones only show once.

Furthermore, we felt the timer-bar shown for assault missions was very vague, while veterans could kinda guess how much time was left, for newer players it might not always be obvious.
Also, the bar for the attacking faction, did not make much sense. You saw it fill up when capture a control point, or down when you lost one, but it did not really mean anything.

Reto.Hades    3,433

Last note to this, unfortunetly as of right now we cannot fix the issues for large resolutions.

I need to be careful not to say something that isn't true, as I'm not that technically educated.

The software we are using has scaling issues. The software was developed when screens didn't have these kind of resolutions yet.

We have been looking into changing to different software, which we might do at some point still. But from what I understand it's very expensive to do so and it would also require quite some time.

It is very annoying and I understand it can cause some frustration, but right now it's not something we can fix.