SJGunn

Couple US Weapon Tips I've Found Helpful for Average Players

SJGunn    323

Since Reto's answer for the US contending with other factions OP weapons is the M2 Carbine and the Johnson, I've played around with some of the US weapons trying to find a way for an average/mediocre player (like me) to use them a little more effectively.  Of course these suggestions are only useful until the next Reto nerf of US stuff.

-For the average/newer player the M2 Carbine is like holding an uncontrollable, run-away chain-saw, especially when modded up.  Even using it in semi-auto mode it's inaccurate past SMG range (for me).  So I've been trying a few things and taken advantage of a few of Reto's recent tweaks.  If you equip the Tight Grip badge, mod with the field sights, mod with the heavy spring, and then add the field trigger mod, the M2 becomes much more tame and I've been able to hit things further away.  This gives it a rof of just under 700.  No longer a "buzz-saw", but more like a longer range SMG.  If you can control the M2 beast at 800-1000 rof I'm happy for you, but for players like me who can't, my formula is a way to get some use out of it.  

-My tip for the Johnson?  If you're infantry throw it away.  Sights and control are awful.  If you're Para and have to use it; equip Tight Grip badge, then mod with field sights and light spring.  Don't take the rof too high.  Only way most new players can hit with it past SMG range.  It takes practice to learn to handle it so be patient.   

-For regular infantry don't count the old warhorse BAR out of your arsenal.  Equip the Tight Grip badge, field sight mod, field trigger mod, and light spring mod.  This makes it controllable and accurate out to 75-100m with a rof just under 600.  The BAR starts with good regular sights, hits hard with regular ammo, and is fairly cheap to use if you're counting credits.  I'm surprised more US players don't use it.

-The Thompson, with a couple mods, is also competitive.  Equip the Deadeye Badge, the field sight mod, field trigger mod, and the light spring mod.  This takes it to a rof of 725 and it's still reasonably controllable.  It will shoot further than you think in a pinch and isn't that expensive if you're saving your $.  This is my go-to weapon for my Para.     

All my testing has been with the basic ammo.  If you can also equip Fast Reload as a second badge it helps these guns.  I haven't included the 1919 MG because I haven't used it that much yet (maybe others can list some suggestions).  Also, these suggestions I've listed work for me but I'm sure other experienced players have a few more tricks.  Competing, as we now are, against enemy equipped with many, many MG13s, MG42s, STG44s, AVSs, and DTs the US needs to get the most we can from our weapons.   

Ritterick    166

I mean, if you're going to do that- why not just skip the RoF Mods, on the Carbine? You end up right around the same spot for control, with a whole lot less expense. It's mainly the TGG that's benifitting you there.

For the Johnson, Trigger is cheaper than Spring, use that instead, because you'll get an identical effect... and add in the Stainless Steel Barrel, as well, since that adds to your Accuracy. Between that, the Sights and not going full RoF, the Johnson becomes almost manageable.

The BAR is an oft-underestimated gun, but I don't know about recommending it to the less adequate folks... I'd honestly say Fast reload is more important than TGG, here... but Sights, Trigger and Spring, and Stainless Steel Barrel, again, would be my experience of useful mods.

The Thompson is fantastic. Stock Ammo, sights Field trigger and bolt- it barely decreases your range, so, with that combination, it remains manageable, the damage is good enough, and the accuracy is passable.

Beyond that, there's the obvious mention of the M1 Garand...

d|ng    3,323

I've done a good amount of testing under the new build.

M2 setup 1 (cheap and manageable):  trigger+scope, heavyset+fast reload

M2 setup 2 (max accuracy to stretch midrange capability to max):  trigger+spring+sight, tight grip+heavyset

M2 setup 3 (damage, effective😞

trigger+spring+scope+jackel ammo, tight grip+heavyset

All of these M2 builds will get outranged quite handedly by AVS and StG past like 40-50m due to shirt accuracy, so overall captured StG and AVS are still better midrange options for US.

For Johnson, trigger makes stability worse whereas lightened spring doesn't,  so use lighted spring if using any rate of fire mods at all.  Otherwise just use chrome barrel no matter what to make these gun 3hk and iron sights. Never put ammo mod on it.  

Overall it sucks even more than BAR so don't use the Johnson.  It has way too much visual and actual horizontal recoil and accuracy is the same as the BAR (they were both at 0.45 conefire before bipod update;  it's likely they're still the same) 

1919 is a good option if you're OK with the lag time to aiming downright and sluggish handling.  It 3hks stock. Dont use chrome barrel or ammo mods on 1919. It has the best reliable range out of all other US automatics, but again that is still less than captured stock AVS and StG. 

1919 mods:  sight+light spring+stainless steel barrel+trigger(optional).  Tight grip or fast reload, though tight grip seems to matter less on the 1919 than it does for mg42 and M2.

Thompson is still really good and I think it's still a better short range option than the M2.  It is more accurate and does more damage.   Easy to control.   Mod for full rate of fire and stock ammo.  Comparable weapon to mp40 and pps43 though with less range ability due to low velocity. 

For everything else really, use the m1garand or captured weapons (StG or AVS) for anything that is not short range.  Can run captured weapons with heavyset+fast reload or deadeye and it's really effective. 

Overall it's really dumb there's not something on US that is fast and accurate like StG and AVS.  It's also dumb the Johnson is way worse than the mg13 (way more recoil and slower reload).

Tweaks are needed

SJGunn    323

For the M2 Carbine the field sight and heavy spring tighten the firing cone, which the Carbine badly needs.  I add the field trigger to compensate the rof because the heavy spring lowers it.  I've carried it many times with no mods and this works better( for me).  The Carbine is at least a 4HK gun, and the higher rof of fire helps. 

Trigger & bolt mods don't give you quite the same effect as light springs.  In most guns the light spring improves the rof without increasing the firing cone spread.  Light spring is the best rof mod which is why is costs the most and is the last thing you earn as you gain experience with a gun.

BAR jumps a lot less with Tight Grip and improves your hits past SMG range.  If you only use it at close range then Fast Reload is probably better.  But I use mine a lot at ranges over 25m.  The best is to be a Vet and equip both badges. 

I've tried various barrels on US guns and they don't seem to help much (except for the rifles), if at all.  Not worth the $ maintaining them.  

I didn't list the M1G because I feel the SA rifles are all about the same (I've used them all).  Many games playing US almost the whole team is using M1Gs so I'm sure most of them know the best set ups for them.  I just wish Reto would quiet down the reload noise a little.   

SJGunn    323

d I ng, I know you are very familiar with US weapons and your suggestions are good.  Unfortunately STG44s and AVSs aren't laying around as often as I'd like, so I don't count on finding one.  I've tried your set ups with the Carbine but I just don't have much luck controlling it over 700 rpm.  For me trying to use the scope is awful.  The heavy spring set up I am now running gives it more range than my Thompson and I hit out to maybe 75m if I do short bursts.  Don't get me wrong, if I'm playing a game busting objective doors I go with the Thompson.

LOL, too bad US players have to spend so much time trying to come up with competitive set-ups when the game weapons should be equal between factions.  And all of this will probably change again next update.  

d|ng    3,323
21 minutes ago, SJGunn said:

For the M2 Carbine the field sight and heavy spring tighten the firing cone,

Field sight does decrease cone, heavy spring shouldn't.   Thought it only added stability

SJGunn    323

Cone goes down too.  Shoots a tighter group.  Keeps it pretty controllable at rof just below 700.

d|ng    3,323
12 minutes ago, SJGunn said:

Cone goes down too.  Shoots a tighter group.  Keeps it pretty controllable at rof just below 700.

Does heavy spring show it improves accuracy indicated by a green icon?  Because if you're going off the circle only, I remember it just shifts the cone down but keeping the same diameter.  I'll have to recheck

shumpu123    125

Not bad, though someone posted a video of M2 TGG max RPM and it looked really accurate so as long as you controlled for vertical recoil.

BAR is always a great option, and I use that build - sight, stainless steel barrel, RPM mods. It's a good gun for sure, but I just wish it was faster to ADS and had a tighter conefire to compete with the likes of MG13. Less sway would be real great too.

M1919, man I don't know what happened recently or if it's me getting more used to the thompson, but it feels a lot more sluggish and hard to hit people with. Maybe I've just gone out of practice with it using the thompson a lot more aggressively...

Thompson is pretty great, it's just a little weird at times and I'm assuming it's because of bullet velocity when you're trying to hit them going left or right.

I think the absolute best guns the US has right now are the M1G, BAR, M1919, and Thompson. M1G is amazing when modded 2hk RPM and you can use it at all ranges. Problem is, I can do the same with the SVT and G43 so it's not like it's a unique thing. That being said I think M1G has fastest reload time too.

BAR in the right hands certainly is competitive, just don't expect too much out of it ranged. Unfortunately STG and MG13 will outcompete with you, they're just superior.

M1919 has a learning curve and is really sluggish. Don't expect to use it like a thompson... I'm still learning the ropes with this gun and seeing what situations it's best used in. Best thing is you can use it as an AA gun and an anti APC gun (if you're alone with the APC and it's a blitz and not an armored APC). It does take down recon planes too, and the wheels of vehicles as well.

sayukta    112
9 hours ago, SJGunn said:

For the average/newer player the M2 Carbine is like holding an uncontrollable, run-away chain-saw, especially when modded up.  Even using it in semi-auto mode it's inaccurate past SMG range (for me).  So I've been trying a few things and taken advantage of a few of Reto's recent tweaks.  If you equip the Tight Grip badge, mod with the field sights, mod with the heavy spring, and then add the field trigger mod, the M2 becomes much more tame and I've been able to hit things further away.  This gives it a rof of just under 700.  No longer a "buzz-saw", but more like a longer range SMG.  If you can control the M2 beast at 800-1000 rof I'm happy for you, but for players like me who can't, my formula is a way to get some use out of it.  

to be honest, i really dont think m2 is good weapon, and neither is mid tier weapon.
no matter how i mod it, i really cant do good with it as compared to thompson.. and i can say that most US players feels this as well.

the thing that wonder me is why would anyone use carbine eventhough it already  lacks in damage, and furthermore, in accuracy and sway part as compared to thompson???? 
also requires batch to control if  rpm is taken to 700 rpm whereas thompson doesnt🙄🙄🙄

shumpu123    125

Agreed. No matter how I mod it it just doesn't feel right nor good enough. It's like it's only viable in really close CQC situations where you can melt the other guy at max RPM, but beyond that it's useless compared to your enemies.

Thompson just does everything so much better at this point, it's vastly superior. You can actually get some kills farther out though it might take more than a few shots, but it's capable.

And just got out of an amazing 71 kill match with the M1919 lol. I have sight, trigger, lightened spring and stainless barrel, TGG and dead eye silver.

I find that it's best used when you're shooting in a straight line. It's also best if you have stamina so you don't get that horrible horrible sway.

What I mean by straight line is you're shooting and the guy isn't moving left or right. It absolutely shreds people like this, so if you're in a defensive position this gun will do wonders.

It struggles at range because the bullets just don't go where you want it to (and the recoil messes it up too), but if you have a bipod and start burst firing it can deliver a bit. Nothing to write home about though. Midrange is pretty good on this gun. The closer you are, the better (except for close CQC, you cannot hipfire that well).

But yea, let them come to you and you completely destroy them. I guess I need more practice following them with the gun but yea it's definitely got insane potential.

M1919, you just need to play it correctly and get in sync with the gun. You're at a massive disadvantage when it comes to ADS time vs MP40s, STGs, MG13s and you will struggle against mg13 in close close range where they can use their laser hipfire and beat you out.

Timberwolf581    218

For the M1919, I got chrome barrel and heavy bolt for max damage, longer range, and 500 RPM. Just find a good spot to put down your bipod and just start hosing. You can do walking fire in a pinch but I advise against it.

SJGunn    323

Lots of good input posted.  Thanks guys.  Gives US players some options to try other than buying a STG44, MG13, or AVS for a million credits.  I agree the M1G is a good, solid SA rifle, but sometimes lately in US games we've been a little short on firepower and need some more full-auto guns to go along with them.   

Slanesh42    35

I personally like BAR with only light spring but, at any rate, try to use single fire at longer ranges, being a very precise weapon you can get some nice headshots.

Krzysiek5657    977
On 2/6/2020 at 3:25 AM, shumpu123 said:

ot bad, though someone posted a video of M2 TGG max RPM

i just love these videos where sb posts weapon stats under unrealistic condition, and yep surprisingly weapons behave quite well, basically flawles are::

a) stand in one position

b) having full stamina

c) doesnt strafe

d) doesnt look left/right (just like you do in real game, when you are cleaning the corners)

e) doesnt try to shot in one position

f) looks like there's RNG how weapon sway. One match you can shot quite accurately, but in other you will hit hard sway.

shumpu123    125
1 minute ago, Krzysiek5657 said:

i just love these videos where sb posts weapon stats under unrealistic condition, and yep surprisingly weapons behave quite well, basically flawles are::

a) stand in one position

b) having full stamina

c) doesnt strafe

d) doesnt look left/right (just like you do in real game, when you are cleaning the corners)

e) doesnt try to shot in one position

f) looks like there's RNG how weapon sway. One match you can shot quite accurately, but in other you will hit hard sway.

Lol I suppose you have a point there, I didn't consider all that.

I don't have TGG on my carbine guy (I have silver but I haven't tested how much that helps) so haven't tested anything yet. Might as well try it out with silver. Anyone have footage of M2 being used in game with TGG?

d|ng    3,323
On 2/5/2020 at 12:01 PM, SJGunn said:

I rechecked.  Cone definitely doesn't shrink using heavy spring.  Only lowers the vertical recoil

Totally not worth it for the ROF reduction

shumpu123    125

Wow... I just used tight grip silver with the M2 on max RPM and it's quite, quite surprising. Takes a lot of getting used to since the bullets travel at much faster velocities and the smoke obscures your vision, but it actually feels pretty good. I think I'm still going to keep the thompson though, it just feels more reliable atm.

You can actually hit farther out now lol, very surprising indeed. I might try it more later but it's expensive af.

TGG and M2 must be quite good then, feels sort of like old M2 I'm assuming. Still, probably going to keep the thompson, at least until I get TGG and then maybe I'll try m2 again.

Also I feel like damage might be a bit too low even at 1028 RPM or hits don't register or something, because I get first shot on the AVS dude and he just kills my guy first even if my spray is on him.

Edited

d|ng    3,323
42 minutes ago, shumpu123 said:

Wow... I just used tight grip silver with the M2 on max RPM and it's quite, quite surprising. Takes a lot of getting used to since the bullets travel at much faster velocities and the smoke obscures your vision, but it actually feels pretty good. I think I'm still going to keep the thompson though, it just feels more reliable atm.

You can actually hit farther out now lol, very surprising indeed. I might try it more later but it's expensive af.

TGG and M2 must be quite good then, feels sort of like old M2 I'm assuming. Still, probably going to keep the thompson, at least until I get TGG and then maybe I'll try m2 again.

Also I feel like damage might be a bit too low even at 1028 RPM or hits don't register or something, because I get first shot on the AVS dude and he just kills my guy first even if my spray is on him.

stg and avs stock are still better

shumpu123    125

Yea I agree, I guess this build's M2 is more viable CQC and can help you get there more but I feel like AVS and STG are just more versatile overall plus 3hk not 5hk or whatever and headshots kill.